Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/mark-liu-chairman-of-tsmc-gives-first-tv-interview-to-60-minutes.14154/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Mark Liu, chairman of TSMC, gives first TV interview to 60 Minutes

It is interesting to see the different takes from TSMC and Intel. TSMC says a couple of months to catch up and Intel says a couple of years! Different agendas, absolutely:

"We heard about this shortage in December… And in January, we tried to squeeze as [many] chips as possible to the car company[ies]," Liu tells Stahl. "Today, we think we are two months ahead, that we can catch up [to] the minimum requirement of our customers. By the end of June."  

"I think we have a couple of years until we catch up to this surging demand across every aspect of business," Gelsinger tells Stahl.    

Stahl's 60 Minutes report about the crucial semiconductor industry will be broadcast Sunday, May 2, at 7 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.

There will be a more detailed blog on this shortly but here is what the media says:

• TSMC (NYSE:TSM) chairman Mark Liu tells CBS' 60 Minutes that the foundry should be able to meet the "minimum requirement" for auto chip customer demand by the end of June.

• Liu noted that the auto chip shortage wouldn't end at that time since there's a supply chain "time lag" with the supply taking seven to eight months.
  • The program also included an interview with Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) CEO Pat Gelsinger, who said it will likely take "a couple of years" for the industry to catch up with the "surging demand across every aspect of the business."

• Gelisnger said Intel will be less focused on buybacks going forward to focus on its push to become a global foundry player.
  • Liu, responding to a question about Intel's foundry push:

• "I think U.S. ought to pursue to run faster, to invest in R&D, to produce more Ph.D., master, bachelor students to get into this manufacturing field instead of trying to move the supply chain, which is very costly and really non productive. That will slow down the innovation because-- people trying to hold on their technology to their own and forsake the global collaboration."

• The continuing global chip shortage will be one of the tech and auto stock drivers to watch this week as earnings season continues.

There will be a more detailed blog on this shortly but here is what the media says:

• TSMC (NYSE:TSM) chairman Mark Liu tells CBS' 60 Minutes that the foundry should be able to meet the "minimum requirement" for auto chip customer demand by the end of June.

• Liu noted that the auto chip shortage wouldn't end at that time since there's a supply chain "time lag" with the supply taking seven to eight months.
  • The program also included an interview with Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) CEO Pat Gelsinger, who said it will likely take "a couple of years" for the industry to catch up with the "surging demand across every aspect of the business."

• Gelisnger said Intel will be less focused on buybacks going forward to focus on its push to become a global foundry player.
  • Liu, responding to a question about Intel's foundry push:

• "I think U.S. ought to pursue to run faster, to invest in R&D, to produce more Ph.D., master, bachelor students to get into this manufacturing field instead of trying to move the supply chain, which is very costly and really non productive. That will slow down the innovation because-- people trying to hold on their technology to their own and forsake the global collaboration."

• The continuing global chip shortage will be one of the tech and auto stock drivers to watch this week as earnings season continues.
My thought: One implied: Give me the money. The other: Let me help you. Which one is with foundry spirit?

The recent 60 Minutes video has been released and can be viewed here:

Back