Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/is-china-a-sucker-for-spending-billions-on-foreign-semiconductor-equipment.13700/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Is China a sucker for spending billions on foreign semiconductor equipment?

China is a follower and now that TSMC does not allow followers SMIC is in real trouble. Here is a recent clip from CNBC about SMIC and sanctions:

U.S. sanctions have had a ‘significant adverse impact’ on Chinese chipmaker SMIC, analyst says Sebastian Hou of CLSA explains why the firm has a sell rating on shares of China’s largest chipmaker SMIC.

TSM has taken SMIC to court and won many times, including being given an interest in SMIC(which it later sold) and right of refusal on their introduction of new products. Litigation is a serious part of the semi world, just ask Apple.

Is China = sucka?
Sure. China leads the world on bomboozling uncounted billions of state subsidies on "prestige projects" cancelled after a few years of photoshoots with VIPs.

They have easily spend more than $100B over the past decade on vanity projects without any, or marginal outcomes.

I once worked near Huali plant. It was the grandest semi project back then, and 1-2 years after a supposed launch the entire plant costing many billion was dark, and quiet. Subsidies kept coming, and Huali kept operating at less than a quarter of promised capacity.

US has Sematech, but China has like 20 Sematechs.

This is a suggestion for US, and EU to not try repeating a strategy that was so obviously proven to be a dead end by China.

Sure. China leads the world on bomboozling uncounted billions of state subsidies on "prestige projects" cancelled after a few years of photoshoots with VIPs.

They have easily spend more than $100B over the past decade on vanity projects without any, or marginal outcomes.

I once worked near Huali plant. It was the grandest semi project back then, and 1-2 years after a supposed launch the entire plant costing many billion was dark, and quiet. Subsidies kept coming, and Huali kept operating at less than a quarter of promised capacity.

US has Sematech, but China has like 20 Sematechs.

This is a suggestion for US, and EU to not try repeating a strategy that was so obviously proven to be a dead end by China.
Can China reverse-engineer all the equipment that they bought? if they can do that then its not a sucka move since they can get some values out of it.

Can China reverse-engineer all the equipment that they bought? if they can do that then its not a sucka move since they can get some values out of it.
No, reverse engineering anything if in the end you can't make it makes no sense.

All knowledge covering operation of semi equipment is open knowledge at least on the level of physics fundamentals.

Figuring out implementation details of that is not a knowledge problem, but rather of engineering manpower, which you will need a lot.

Reverse engineering semiconductor equipment is a fool's errand. Even if you do succeed you will be years behind in this fast moving industry.

I find it sort of hard to believe. The plan was to start Chinese-owned and operated fabs and make chips for Chinese indigenous use. We have been reading about it for years and it sounded reasonable, maybe even scary to those of us who see the slow decline in the US and the rapid rise in China.
Then poof it’s gone.
As far as is China a sucka, maybe, but it’s Chinese fraud on Chinese. I’m not one of those rooting against China, despite the issues with slow decline in the US. We’re masters of our own choices and so far are choosing culture war rather than sensible policies. China earnestly tried to do something difficult and was brought down by fraud, as far as I can tell, and their failure makes invasion of Taiwan more likely, as far as I can tell.

Back