[XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel vs AMD Keynotes at CES!

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
I just finished watching the Intel and AMD presentations and find them to be quite different. Before offering my biased opinion I would be interested in hearing yours:

You may also want to catch the Samsung keynote:

I used to attend CES but now I just stream it from lazyboy command center.... If you really have time on your hands watch the 2009 keynotes as comparison. SOme more of the same some not.

AMD vs. Intel at CES 2020: Here’s how the chips fell this year
With nothing much else to excite outside of niche technologies and some limited promises for new tech later this year, 2020 is not off to a slow start for team blue. With AMD set to introduce its most competitive products yet in two industries very important to Intel — laptops and HEDT. AMD’s momentum is snowballing, and Intel’s announcements at CES haven’t helped slow it down.

AMD outshines Intel at CES 2020 as chip makers’ traditional roles remain reversed
For decades, Intel has been the chip maker that consistently promised strong products and delivered on time, while AMD was the competitor promising a vaguely successful future as investors doubted the ultimate outcome. The two have seemed to switch places, and their CES 2020 performances really drove that home.

Intel is throwing shade at AMD CPUs again
CES 2020 is here[/URL], and one of my first visits was with Intel, at its performance workshop. Intel reiterated its position on performance and features, basically throwing shade at AMD's competing Ryzen CPUs in the process. That wasn't the only purpose of the workshop, however. Intel also revealed a few scant details about its upcoming Comet Lake CPUs (over 5GHz, coming soon to mobile), showed off a new high performance NUC, and talked about the importance of AI "in the real world."

Last edited:
Some youtube references on how far ahead AMD is in the server space; typically Intel territory:

We should also be talking about the Archer TL 150 system and the Archer WT 750 system and stuff like that.

Well, after streaming the keynotes and reading the media coverage I have to say that I was under impressed this year. The lack of Intel charisma was alarming. AMD did a better job but still unimpressed. Leadership is everything for technology companies and I just did not see it at CES. The SexTech stuff was pretty funny though. The automotive stuff was very interesting but I see a serious bubble coming. Everyone wants to be Tesla but they do not have the leadership or agility to be Tesla. The other car companies are also bringing semiconductor technology in-house, like Tesla did, so the automotive supply chain is on notice. And how many car companies do we really need? Bubble......

Last edited:
Opinion: AMD outshines Intel at CES 2020 as chip makers’ traditional roles remain reversed
"Two longtime semiconductor rivals offered an interesting study in contrasts at CES 2020 this week that seemed to mirror the market’s current view of both.

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. AMD, -0.41% hosted a jam-packed press conference and, in a span of 45 concise minutes, unveiled a handful of new chips available in the coming weeks. Chief Executive Lisa Su predicted that 2020 will surpass 2019, when AMD was the biggest gainer among the S&P 500 for the second year in a row.

Intel Corp. INTC, +0.40% , on the other hand, had the bad luck of following its scrappy rival just an hour later, and spent a meandering hour-plus on stage with few important points to take away. The most exciting part of Intel’s demo was a wacky presentation from a partner company, as Jason Levine, the ebullient principal worldwide evangelist for Adobe Inc. ADBE, +0.53% , woke up the crowd with a rousing demo of how Photoshop uses artificial intelligence to simplify difficult photo editing."

Agreed........

Back