Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-to-double-its-manufacturing-space-in-ireland-and-expand-workforce-by-1-600.13955/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel to double its manufacturing space in Ireland and expand workforce by 1,600

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger has announced Intel’s plans to become a major provider of foundry capacity in the U.S. and Europe to serve customers globally as part of Intel’s Integrated Device Manufacturing (IDM) 2.0. As part of this, Intel will expand its Irish workforce, adding 1,600 high-tech jobs and more than double the manufacturing space at its Irish operation as part of a global plan to accelerate its chipmaking capabilities.

Martin Shanahan, CEO of IDA Ireland said: “The work undertaken at the (Intel’s) Leixlip campus is highly complex, and this investment will bring Intel’s latest generation of 7 nanometre process technology to Ireland and Europe. While this investment is very important to Ireland, it is also very important in a European context, and will help to deliver on the EU’s vision for digital transformation by 2030…Furthermore, the company has signalled that there will be an opportunity for additional investment as it plans to announce another phase of expansions in locations including Europe in the next year. ”

The General Manager of Intel Ireland and Vice President of the company’s Technology and Manufacturing Group, Eamonn Sinnott, in an editorial on the company’s website, confirmed that since locating its technology campus in Ireland in 1989, Intel has invested $15bn in manufacturing capacity, making it one of the largest and most advanced semiconductor manufacturing operations in Europe. The current expansion, which in time will more than double Intel’s available manufacturing space in Ireland and Europe, has seen an additional $7bn investment between 2019 and 2021.

[*]IDA release: https://www.idaireland.com/newsroom/plans-by-intel-welcomed-by-ida-ireland
[*]Intel release: https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/idm-manufacturing-innovation-product-leadership/#gs.wggpzx

There was a press release this morning that the leading processor will be made at tsmc. It won't be to 2023 at the earliest.

That fab is outside my window. Construction has been underway for well over a year, its will be ready for us to tool it up soon. Its interesting that Pat noted in the BBC that an unknown another country in Europe may get a foundry investment later in the year.

That fab is outside my window. Construction has been underway for well over a year, its will be ready for us to tool it up soon. Its interesting that Pat noted in the BBC that an unknown another country in Europe may get a foundry investment later in the year.

Do they consider Israel in Europe?

I don't think so, for two reasons. I think he alluded to that in the BBC interview, he mentioned mentioned that Intel want to be a part of Europe's plan to be a part of the 20% supply of global semiconductors by 2030. Intel would need a base in the EU to avail of all those grants, UK is out of the question for the obvious and Ireland and Israel are also out.

I hear construction is resuming in Israel, my guess is for 5nm in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're outsourcing their lead processors to tsmc but they expanding production. It's a contradiction.

I don't think so, for two reasons. I think he alluded to that in the BBC interview, he mentioned mentioned that Intel want to be a part of Europe's plan to be a part of the 20% supply of global semiconductors by 2030. Intel would need a base in the EU to avail of all those grants, UK is out of the question for the obvious and Ireland and Israel are also out.

I hear construction is resuming in Israel, my guess is for 5nm in the future.
Ireland is part of the EU -- I think that fab would count as "Europe." But I'd guess EU would prefer one on continent .. which Intel may do given the proper "incentives."

Back