Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-taps-multi-billion-dollar-fund-to-retain-attract-top-talent.15231/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Taps Multi-Billion Dollar Fund to Retain, Attract Top Talent

Manufacturing will always have a high attrition rate. The work is repetitive and at times everyone thinks they rather work in services.

It mentions Oregon but Oregon does a poor job developing talent. Oregon has the people that can follow the module but in terms of maintaining the equipment or design we need to import people.

Inflation is up, salaries are up. The best way to get a big raise is a job move. The 2.7% per annum is not keeping up with inflation. It sucks for everyone. With FAANG making their own chips, ARM server startups, there is a whole lot more demand for talent, so it is not just manufacturing.
Plus, your stock options could be in the money.

People would rather work from home rather than punching a clock. My son in-law left his manufacturing supervisor job for a software support job working from home. He is very happy as is my daughter. No more forced unpaid overtime, no more grave yard shifts, no more union nonsense. Now he is all about SAS in the manufacturing world. A very successful pivot, huge respect for the man.

Reactions: VCT
Inflation is up, salaries are up. The best way to get a big raise is a job move. The 2.7% per annum is not keeping up with inflation. It sucks for everyone. With FAANG making their own chips, ARM server startups, there is a whole lot more demand for talent, so it is not just manufacturing.
Plus, your stock options could be in the money.

The industry actually sees very little turnover, and this is bad. Most people who change job in the industry, do it in their first years. It's not untypical at all for people to stay 10y+ in a tech company in Taiwan. Promotions, and salary rises are very slow, and people are afraid of falling out of them if they switch. Promotions are largely seniority, and age based there. The later is not a typo, people are paid just for being older there.

I'm ruffling through Linkedins for hires, and I see a lot of people who got just 1-2 promotions in 10 years. Found one RTL designer with just 3 in 20 years at Mediatek.

The brain drain I'm currently seeing in Intel is startling. Including many people who have stuck it out for well over 20 years. I doubt money will fix the problem. IMO, Intel needs to make fundamental changes in how it treats employees, ditch the suck-up corporate politics, focus on technical product leadership rather than that touchy-feely diversity stuff they post on LinkedIn (diversity is table-stakes in the high tech industry), and finally address the incompetence of many of its managers.

The brain drain I'm currently seeing in Intel is startling. Including many people who have stuck it out for well over 20 years. I doubt money will fix the problem. IMO, Intel needs to make fundamental changes in how it treats employees, ditch the suck-up corporate politics, focus on technical product leadership rather than that touchy-feely diversity stuff they post on LinkedIn (diversity is table-stakes in the high tech industry), and finally address the incompetence of many of its managers.

Talking about Intel and diversity, please see my comment in another thread:

It's perilous to compare the job market situation in Taiwan with what's going on in the USA. As far as US-based factories are concerned, improving the quality of the jobs is where companies fall short (hours, flexibility, management support...)

They're singling out the unvaccinated.
They may be required to if Intel does any work as a federal contractor.. I assume they fab atleast some chips for the US.

Also, politics aside, it's normal for sick people in the US to feel "compelled" to go into the office and share their colds/flu with everyone else. The other side of the coin is they need a healthy workforce to stay productive.

Back