[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel should stay an IDM

Arthur Hanson

Intel should stay an IDM and focus on becoming bleeding edge in a variety of semis before they try to become a foundry. To do both with the conflicts at every level is far too big a task even for Intel. Trying to compete with TSM and Samsung is going to be extremely costly in time, money, and effort. It would be far better to build on the customer base they already have ard could put in danger of losing the leads in the areas they do lead in that could far more easily be expanded on. TSM has clearly shown in every respect that the pure foundry model is a winner in a market that is advancing at an ever-accelerating rate. Intel would not only have to change direction in its business but its culture and application of its technologies. Cooperation and collaboration with TSM would be a far better option. Apple had far more resources and a massive amount of money to go in many directions and after a bad experience with Samsung, saw the light in the foundry model that TSM offered. No IDM/foundry model has been as successful as the numerous companies that have kept these functions separate, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Apple, and AMD to name just a few.
Intel should focus on its strengths and not its weaknesses.

Agreed. You know Arthur, this could be a complete head fake just to keep investor interest while Intel gets their process technology house in order. I see no way for Intel Foundry Services to make a profit for commercial business competing with Samsung and TSMC, not even close. Pat says there will be a separate P&L so we shall see, if there is proper transparency.

I find these advantages with Intel regarding their foundry model.
1. I heard that Intel's past foundry model was not successful because of its customers (it was so picky it seems). But now, it joined hands with Microsoft and IBM which clearly shows the seriousness in their foundry business.
2. The reason behind Intel taking a bold step with their foundry despite having their technology fallen back is that it wants to attract other customers which are using 10nm and greater technologies. I heard that many microcontrollers, drivers still use higher technologies. Also, the foundry is ready to manufacture ARM processors as well. Qualcomm is also looking forward to working with Intel regarding the foundry. (https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveal...just-what-the-doctor-ordered/?sh=66010f414f48)
3. Other companies are happy to have another choice and were nervous to find only two foundries till now.

Back