Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-opens-d1x-mod3-fab-expansion-moves-up-intel-18a-manufacturing-to-h2%E2%80%992024.15840/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Opens D1X-Mod3 Fab Expansion; Moves Up Intel 18A Manufacturing to H2’2024

Happy this thread was made, and particularly that EUV is called out, because I wanted to ask about this Ian Cuttress video particularly at 1:50 where we starts to talk about EUV machine count. It seems there’s at least 6 right in view, and he says another <redacted> amount (let’s assume 6) on the other side of the facility.

What’s 12 EUV machines look like for Intel’s I4/I3 node ramp up? And presumably there’s more over in Leixlip (just as many?) which are separate from these. Or were some of these D1X machines the ones that got flown over to Ireland?

Very interesting given all the chatter about EUV machine shortages, particularly as it pertains to Intel’s ability to catch up and then also fill those new fab shells.

Probably because this was already announced at the analyst day. From AnandTech:
Alongside briefing the press about the D1X-Mod3 opening, Intel also used their latest press event to get everyone up to speed on the latest updates on Intel’s development roadmap. Strictly speaking, nothing here is new – all of this was first announced during Intel’s 2022 Investor Meeting back in February. However this is the first time Intel has engaged the technical press, rather than investors, on the current state of its development efforts.

It's Oregon with their 10k employees vs the world and their fabless ecosystem. The fabless will win.
And Intel will win too, at least for Intel's non foundry business. By leveraging TSMC's resources, capacity, and ecosystem, Intel will deliver more diversified and attractive products to customers quicker.

It also implies High-NA EUV will not be used for (starting) 18A:

IntelRoadmap_H1_2022b.png

This is from the OP link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1734...on-moves-up-intel-18a-manufacturing-to-h22024

IntelIt also implies High-NA EUV will not be used for (starting) 18A:

View attachment 716

This is from the OP link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1734...on-moves-up-intel-18a-manufacturing-to-h22024
1. From Intel's history, releasing a new Intel node process might not mean they are in good yield nor in large scale.

2. Like many reports and roadmaps released by Intel, any TSMC related products and technologies are nowhere to be seen. I guess Intel's mentality in using outside foundries is like to hire a temporary handyman. Only things made inhouse by Intel can be qualified to be included in the corporate communications.

Last edited:
Back