Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-ceo-we-have-100-companies-that-want-us-to-make-their-chips.14463/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel CEO: We have 100 companies that want us to make their chips

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Very bold statement for the very fickle foundry business but competition is great so I hope this is true. Either way Pat putting a stake in the ground is a very good sign. To me this is a hero call and I respect that, absolutely.

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger told Yahoo Finance Live he has over 100 companies in the pipeline that want the tech giant to produce the chips it designs.
"The industry needs the supply. Intel is stepping into that with leading-edge technologies for a globally balanced supply chain. This is good for the United States and it's good for the tech industry," Gelsinger said.

I'd guess the situation is "we're talking to 100 customers who have inquired about our foundry business -- or who we've reached out to and we've had at least one discussion meeting."

Intel foundries on paper makes sense but the problem is they lack the technical people.

Do you think acquiring GF is a good thing for Intel?

Probably not. Intel's labor poor is already stretched too thin.

There's a shortage of mechanics, technicians, trained personnel to maintain automated equipment everywhere. Intel isn't the only one. We will need to do a better job training technical people.

Probably not. Intel's labor poor is already stretched too thin.

There's a shortage of mechanics, technicians, trained personnel to maintain automated equipment everywhere. Intel isn't the only one. We will need to do a better job training technical people.

TSMC has been hiring a lot of Intel people in and around AZ which is probably not helping either. Great move building a giga fab next to Intel, absolutely.

Do you think acquiring GF is a good thing for Intel?
It would give them access to a number of GF customers (20-30?) -- that they would never have a chance with otherwise. Those customers are "foundry savvy" -- and also requiring lower margin foundry business. That is, they want "specialty" foundry support which is completely different from Intel's historic CPU/GPU leading-edge digital products. It would give Intel a broad set of "new" foundry customers. For these customers Intel should use existing GF support -- and learn from it more broadly.

BUT -- it is lower margin foundry business. Many outsiders and internal Intel people would have an issue with it initially. It would shake thing up. (but that is kind of the point -- being committed to the broad foundry business -- not just sexy, big, well-known, mainly digital customers)

It would also include AMD -- which opens an interesting door. AMD would require a hard contract for parts in the next 3-4 years -- the ones they are currently building with GF. That would work for both companies -- AMD would contracturally get parts for that time period -- and both companies would become more comfortable working with the other. So it would work -- even if there isn't any longer-term business. Intel definitely could not manipulate this business to help their other businesses -- or they will get killed in the foundry business. (not just AMD) It would be a litmus test if they are serious.

Last edited:
Very bold statement for the very fickle foundry business but competition is great so I hope this is true. Either way Pat putting a stake in the ground is a very good sign. To me this is a hero call and I respect that, absolutely.

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger told Yahoo Finance Live he has over 100 companies in the pipeline that want the tech giant to produce the chips it designs.
"The industry needs the supply. Intel is stepping into that with leading-edge technologies for a globally balanced supply chain. This is good for the United States and it's good for the tech industry," Gelsinger said.

What leading edge technologies is Gelsinger talking about, from what I've heard Intel is a few steps behind?

What leading edge technologies is Gelsinger talking about, from what I've heard Intel is a few steps behind?
At this rate will gelsinger be around in three years. It's consecutive quarters of declines. At some point you have to hold him accountable for something.

Back