Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/i-am-funded-by-nsf-to-make-a-prototype-for-a-new-method-of-carrier-profiling.9037/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

I am funded by NSF to make a prototype for a new method of carrier profiling.

mhagmann

I believe that there is a critical need for improved carrier profiling as we progress from 10 nm to 7 nm lithography and beyond. Scanning Spreading Resistance Microscopy (SSRM) is presently the method of choice at these nodes. However, the carriers cannot reach equilibrium with a semiconductor over lengths less than the mean-free path for the carriers (10-15 nm). Thus, measurements made over shorter lengths would only reflect the resistivity outside of that region. Roadmaps for the semiconductor industry have asked for carrier and dopant profiling with a resolution finer than 10% of the node dimension. Atom Probe Tomography can provide nanometer resolution dopant profiling--to verify the fabrication. However, carrier profiling, which is required to validate the operation of a device, currently has no method that can satisfy the Roadmaps at and below the 10-nm node. SSRM line scans for composites of layers having different doping densities show the convolution with an impulse function having a width of approximately 50 nm.
Thus, at the 7-nm node, the use of SSRM is equivalent to attempting to manufacture an automobile using a piece of string having a length 7 times that of the car for all measurements.
I am funded by the National Science Foundation to make a prototype for a new method of carrier profiling during 2017, and I would be happy to discuss this method with anyone who would contact me using the SemiWiki.com button for email contact. I would also appreciate your comments and suggestions, either by email or by reply, regarding what I believe to be a crisis.

Back