[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

ESD Alliance joins SEMI

Daniel Payne

Given all the merger activity in the EDA, semiconductor and IP worlds, it comes as no surprise that our industry associations also have mergers, so the ESD Alliance (aka EDAC) joined SEMI this week and will continue with business as usual. I've attended both SEMI and ESD Alliance events, and the merger makes total sense to me. Even here in Oregon we have two SEMI events each year which I attend and thoroughly enjoy the education and networking aspects.

View attachment 21503

Read the press release here for more details and quotes.

Not surprising with the EDA consolidation and for whatever reason they never really did get the IP companies to rally behind them. If you look at the distribution of EDA and IP companies there are a handful of really big ones and many many small ones. Missing are the medium sized companies ($10M-$50M) as they have mostly been acquired. It will be interesting to do a count at #55DAC this year.

When I advise emerging EDA and IP companies the first thing I tell them is to NOT compete with Synopsys which is a tall order since Synopsys is far reaching with the broadest product suite. Synopsys is also by far the most competitive company in the trenches. They really have a take-no-prisoners battle plan.

The next thing I tell them is to hire a skilled business development professional. I have seen many emerging companies with great products fail because they did not have a strategic battle plan. A good BD person will take you through ecosystem partnerships, digital marketing, and a sales plan that is all tied together with a clear exit strategy. Pretty much what I have been doing for the past ten years.

Finally I tell them what I tell my children, plan for the worst and hope for the best so you are never caught off guard, absolutely.

Back