Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/economics-and-semi-nanotech-sector-shut-down-is-failure.12462/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Economics and Semi/Nanotech Sector, Shut Down is Failure

Arthur Hanson

Our politicians and leaders are totally misguided in shutting down the economy, it should be about using technology to keep the economy running. Loans that will permanently crimple individuals and businesses already weakened by the crisis. The tech sector has several resources besides work from home, which only applies to a thin slice of the economy. There are an almost infinite ways we could function more normally than we are now and we have the ability to create more. Keeping everyone, our infrastructure and equipment working all to their maximum potential are key.

Common sense isn't common and a coward dies a thousand deaths and a brave person dies but once. I personally am working on methods we can still function more normally rather than shut down. The more resources and intelligence one has, the greater the responsibility to step up and implement solutions. It's time for the tech sector to step up and keep our economy running, not shutting it down. Any comments, thoughts and ways of keeping the economy running instead of shutting it down welcome and appreciated. We should rise to the occasion, not cave in to fear. The tech sector has more answers to not shutting down and accepting defeat. It's past time to step up.

Last edited:
Drink some agave based liquor; tequila or mezcal. Don't smoke, don't use recreational drugs and don't use peds.

Working from home is an euphemism for being unemployed a few people can do it but they are the best of the best; most of us are human.

I'm a few weeks it will come out that there were false positives and people suffered from other viruses. In Oregon's case the way it was handled destroyed far more lives and careers than it helped. The elderly should stay at home but the young should of worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our government is focused on failure like Afghanistan, Iraq, fusion(always ten years out for the last forty years), a staggering prison population fueled by failing prohibitions when alcohol the most dangerous common drug is legal, the world's most expensive education and medical systems that delivers quality that ranks in the thirty and below in rankings. It's insanity to think a system focused on failure can achieve success without radical change. Having people stay at home is total failure, except for the old. I'm sixty five, eat a hyper healthy diet, exercise and I have been only sick once in the last ten plus years for two days from being on a packed plane. Time for the tech culture which is successful to stand up and take charge.

Arthur, agree with you. Technology can be of great help here. When all the potential suspects , cases or neighbors of infected patients are identified - some sort of categorizing the folks in Red, Yellow, Green category would help. Folks can be tracked via app on smartphones which would enable parts of economy to open up and gradually lays the foundation for opening more sectors..

Probably it's enough to just think about the places / actions you don't feel comfortable with these days.

-Voice / proximity instead of touch. For me, this one is the most obvious. While on the bicycle, I have to press the button for the traffic light; at the coffee machine I have to touch it to get coffee. Many doors stay closed because of fire hazard rules; they need to be equipped with 'auto fire-close magnet' systems; then they can be left open.

-Pay by entering PIN / fingerprint on smartphone: The payment devices where you have to enter PIN, are also a hazard right now. Best to only enter PIN on a personal device, which you don't share with otherpeople.

-Non-sharing economy: Personalized keyboards in companies, where you can't use somebody elses keyboard / mouse, because it has a fingerprint lock. Not to unlock the computer, but to unlock the computer / mouse.

-Privacy respecting contact-tracking. In Wuhan, by now, everybody who self-quarantined and didn't break the seal of the door, if they don't have fever, they receive a "green card" on their smartphone. But only if they left their GPS-tracking on for the full quarantine time! Many, including me, are not comfortable with this. So, maybe a smartwatch, which saves the id's of the other smartwatches near to it; encrypted with the public key of the owner. Data can only be decrypted once somebody is tested and the test is positive: Then they are (by law) required to give their private key, so the tracking-people can quickly make a list of which watches were within 2 meters; while still respecting privacy as much as possible.

-Proximity-alarms: Maybe somebody can make an app, if somebody else is too close? Some people in supermarkets still don't stick to the distancing rules. It would be great to have a "three strikes and you're out-of-the-supermarket".

-Anything "auto-sterilzation" related: Right now, shop workers have to wipe of shopping charts by hand. Most small supermarket have 1 FTE doing this right now.

That's besides the obvious: Mass production of tests and antibody-tests. Antibody - tests have somehow to be linked to either wrist-bands or smartphone.

If you want to solve it closer to the root cause, I think it's also important to protect wild animals; and minimize the number of places where animals / humans are in close contact with each other. That's not only China; there are lots of regions in the world with intensive animal-related industries.

Funny, auto-laundry for shopping carts and baskets (with some UV) already exists:

This has to be tested for effectivity against virusus, and probably made in such a way where people themselves can enter / withdraw carts / baskets.

Additional note, anyone who has worked in a bio lab, knows just a mask is useless if your eyes aren't also protected. They are an easy entry point for just about anything.

Back