Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/china-has-launched-full-scale-ai-semi-war.12966/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

China has launched Full Scale AI/Semi War

Arthur Hanson

China has launched a full scale AI war and it can't be called anything else. China is bent on acquiring AI technology by any means possible, from massive efforts to develop its own home grown technology, to several forms of theft. It would be far better if we could work together and use all our resources in a coordinated and collaborative way, but this would require the task of building a world wide relationship of trust. This may sound off the mark, but this would be a good place to start to build a solid collaborative effort that would have the potential if handled correctly of yielding very good dividends and hopefully build a truly mutual beneficial relationship between China and the rest of the world. China, definitely mishandled the coronavirus, whether unintentionally or deliberately and this would be a good step in the right direction to building a very beneficial relationship across the board. Building a true technological relationship, if possible as a starting point to building the more complex relationships needed for both sides and the world to benefit and a far easier starting point than political and ideological ones, which are far more difficult by their very nature. Technology doesn't exist in a vacuum and could be the foundation needed to get things started. This is something the leaders on both sides might be able to comprehend, since politics is far more difficult. It would be worth at least an attempt, since if successful the benefits to both sides and the world would be tremendous to the point of mankind surviving on this increasingly devastated planet that is in real danger.

Last edited:
China is bent on acquiring AI technology by any means possible, from massive efforts to develop its own home grown technology, to several forms of theft. Really. Can you provide a few examples of the several forms of theft?

China, definitely mishandled the coronavirus. That's strange. The WHO and every medical person I know says they handled it brilliantly. Can you explain your reasoning–and qualifications–for making that statement?

Based on what I know/believe the virus escaped from the Wuhan lab not a seafood market. What China did afterwards may have been brilliant but had China been honest about the point of origin the entire world would have been better prepared. Just my opinion of course.

China, definitely mishandled the coronavirus. That's strange. The WHO and every medical person I know says they handled it brilliantly. Can you explain your reasoning–and qualifications–for making that statement?

Interesting article, thank you Fred. It really does lack credibility though since the word "may" is used in the title and twice in the first sentence. "The world may end tomorrow", how do you argue against that until tomorrow? The author's resume also does not inspire confidence.

I did not trust what I read on the WHO or CDC websites for the same reason. They used the word "may" too many times. I understand the legalities involved but it does not inspire confidence when discussing a highly infectious disease.

I "may" have been to China many times and "may" have been in China when the Covid news hit. My wife in the US knew about it before I did. She texted me and told me to come home ASAP which I did. In fact, everyone I was traveling with did the same including some people who lived in China and had family elsewhere. It really was a panic situation.

Bottom line:
It is hard for me to trust anything I read these days without extensive research which I have not done in this case. But, having said that, I do not trust coincidence and I think the fact that Covid was first reported in the same city as a microbiology laboratory that studies infectious diseases like SARS and Covid is just too much of a coincidence.

I can only image the legal and human consequences if in fact the origin of this pandemic is proven so we "may" never know for sure.

Just my opinion of course......

I would take whatever the Global Times says with a big grain of salt. As stated in Wikipedia here,
"The Global Times (simplified Chinese: 环球时报; traditional Chinese: 環球時報; pinyin: Huánqiú Shíbào) is a daily tabloid newspaper under the auspices of the Chinese Communist Party's People's Daily newspaper, commenting on international issues from a nationalistic perspective.

The newspaper has spread unfounded conspiracy theories and disinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic; it is part of a broader set of Chinese state-run-media outlets forming part of the Chinese government's propaganda apparatus
"

I'm not saying this particular article is false...I really don't know BUT we should treat some sources of information with more skepticism.

To our friend, Godfree Roberts, here is one article that portrays China NOT handling the coronavirus outbreak "brilliantly". It's from a mainstream and reputable source (NBC News): How China blocked WHO and Chinese scientists early in coronavirus outbreak

Based on what I know/believe the virus escaped from the Wuhan lab not a seafood market. What China did afterwards may have been brilliant but had China been honest about the point of origin the entire world would have been better prepared. Just my opinion of course.

Searching on scholar.google about "origin of SARS-CoV-2" does not reveal any scientific articles that claim possible lab source. On the contrary the first result, published in highly esteemed Nature Medicine, with 1278 citations so far, is the following:

I quote from the intro: "Here we review what can be deduced about the origin of SARS-CoV-2 from comparative analysis of genomic data. We offer a perspective on the notable features of the SARS-CoV-2 genome and discuss scenarios by which they could have arisen. Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus. "

If you check the authors:
  1. Department of Immunology and Microbiology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
    Kristian G. Andersen
  2. Scripps Research Translational Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
    Kristian G. Andersen
  3. Institute of Evolutionary Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
    Andrew Rambaut
  4. Center for Infection and Immunity, Mailman School of Public Health of Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
    W. Ian Lipkin
  5. Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity, School of Life and Environmental Sciences and School of Medical Sciences, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
    Edward C. Holmes
  6. Tulane University, School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, New Orleans, LA, USA
    Robert F. Garry
  7. Zalgen Labs, Germantown, MD, USA
    Robert F. Garry

Just saying.

Searching on scholar.google about "origin of SARS-CoV-2" does not reveal any scientific articles that claim possible lab source. On the contrary the first result, published in highly esteemed Nature Medicine, with 1278 citations so far, is the following:

I quote from the intro: "Here we review what can be deduced about the origin of SARS-CoV-2 from comparative analysis of genomic data. We offer a perspective on the notable features of the SARS-CoV-2 genome and discuss scenarios by which they could have arisen. Our analyses clearly show that SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus. "

If you check the authors:
  1. Department of Immunology and Microbiology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
    Kristian G. Andersen
  2. Scripps Research Translational Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
    Kristian G. Andersen
  3. Institute of Evolutionary Biology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
    Andrew Rambaut
  4. Center for Infection and Immunity, Mailman School of Public Health of Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
    W. Ian Lipkin
  5. Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity, School of Life and Environmental Sciences and School of Medical Sciences, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
    Edward C. Holmes
  6. Tulane University, School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, New Orleans, LA, USA
    Robert F. Garry
  7. Zalgen Labs, Germantown, MD, USA
    Robert F. Garry

Just saying.

Well, the same article says " Neither the bat betacoronaviruses nor the pangolin betacoronaviruses sampled thus far have polybasic cleavage sites. Although no animal coronavirus has been identified that is sufficiently similar to have served as the direct progenitor of SARS-CoV-2 ".

Basically after all research that has been done so far (which is huge amount of work btw), we still don't know the "transmitting" specie and conditions of transmission of SARS CoV-2. Actually this point gives rise to conspiracy theories. It is likely(or unlikely, pick one) that the "transmission" from animal to human is "facilitated" by the Lab work in Wuhan. Intentionally or unintentionally, that's another debate. But so far no research has proven that this is impossible, and that microbiology lab in Wuhan has several publications on SARS human transmission related work dating back to few years from the Covid-19 outbreak.

Also it is now known that "the fish market" is not the starting location of the outbreak, as the first registered and Covid positive diagnosed patient (patient zero) is far from the fish market and has never been there. Several YT channels dig deep in this aspect in detail, you can check them out.

And we would know better if Chinese government didn't silence the whistle-blower doctors, journalists and reporters. I think it is just "naive" to believe China has nothing to do with this mess.

Last edited:
Vaccine if possible won't happen because the public can't accept what covid is. $billions have been wasted and people have died needlessly.

My initial response was referring to a comment implying a fabricated virus, and this is exactly the quote that was bold in my response. I never claimed that the exact source and mechanism of transmission have been identified.

On the other hand, there are conspiracy theories for just about everything. Some even tend to be verified, usually after many years. In the meantime, I try to believe more concrete evidence and published research that can be verified. I do not consider the vast amounts of unnamed YT channels a proper source to reference in order to strengthen or support my argument.

I do not believe the virus was fabricated.

I have a good friend who believes Covid is a political hoax.

Hopefully historians will be able to solve this riddle but clearly someone knows how this all started and they are not talking.

My initial response was referring to a comment implying a fabricated virus, and this is exactly the quote that was bold in my response. I never claimed that the exact source and mechanism of transmission have been identified.

On the other hand, there are conspiracy theories for just about everything. Some even tend to be verified, usually after many years. In the meantime, I try to believe more concrete evidence and published research that can be verified. I do not consider the vast amounts of unnamed YT channels a proper source to reference in order to strengthen or support my argument.

I do not believe the virus was fabricated.

I have a good friend who believes Covid is a political hoax.

Hopefully historians will be able to solve this riddle but clearly someone knows how this all started and they are not talking.

What do you believe? The dipshit ate the bat?

Arthus Hanson again China bashing and others spreading virus conspiracies ? A bit sad to see here.

virus origin: imho easiest and most likely explination for the virus is cross mutation event. Sooner or later shit like that happens.

virus origin: imho easiest and most likely explanation for the virus is cross mutation event. Sooner or later shit like that happens.

SemiWiki is an open forum...

Personally I think Covid is an interesting discussion. Complicated science, so much misinformation, but clearly it is the topic of the decade. I'm interested in the cross mutation theory. Do you think the the cross mutation happened in the lab or in the wild?

We're doing this in bad faith and I don't think there will be an authentic vaccine if a vaccine is possible for corona because of this. The uptick of deaths is a really scary possibility this winter.

China is bent on acquiring AI technology by any means possible, from massive efforts to develop its own home grown technology, to several forms of theft. Really. Can you provide a few examples of the several forms of theft?

Start with the optical router by Cisco, a close associate was lead engineer and go forward to two theft cases brought by TSMC in Alameda county and Santa Clara county courts and literally thousands of others across many fields. The theft is massive, across many fields for years, Google it if you want thousands of examples. They also abused the discovery process in US courts to steal secrets.

SemiWiki is an open forum...
Personally I think Covid is an interesting discussion. Complicated science, so much misinformation, but clearly it is the topic of the decade. I'm interested in the cross mutation theory. Do you think the the cross mutation happened in the lab or in the wild?
Yes, its very interesting. I think it happened in the wild and on markets. Millions of opportunities frequently for viruses to get in contact with all kinds livestock and humans. And naturally, one of its mutation arrives at a stage it can successfully dock on humans and continue to spread and mutate to something else. Eventually very likely a virus less dangerous. I think the Sars strains already splitting up afaik.

After China entered WTO in late 2001, take a look at what happened to the IP and employees who worked at the Canadian communications equipment company Nortel Networks.

Back