Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/atmel-goes-to-dialog-semiconductor.6574/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Atmel Goes to Dialog Semiconductor

Majeed Ahmad

Dialog Semiconductor plc has announced to buy Atmel Corp. for a total of $4.6 billion in cash and shares, report The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg News. Another big merger to create synergy for the Internet of Things (IoT) gold rush? You bet.

Atmel has been on the block for quite some time. The MCU company, which has been making steady gains in the Internet of Things (IoT) realm, has also been an acquisition target. Now analog chipmaker Dialog has made the call to complement its wireless and power portfolio with compelling digital assets.

View attachment 15379
Jalal Bagherli, CEO, Dialog Semiconductor​

The synergy seems clear at this very early stage. Digital meets analog/mixed-signal for the riches of IoT and wearable devices. The rest, as they say, are details, which will emerge in the coming days. The debate about pro's and con's of consolidation in the semiconductor industry aside, the IoT game is becoming interesting by the day.

I always think of Atmel because their chips were in the first Arduinos. Of course lately they have been focusing at ARM cores augmenting the existing AVR family. But they have been doing well with touch screen controllers and many other areas. With the growth of IoT, they seem like they would have a strong market for their products.

I know their stock has not been doing that well, but neither have a lot of other semi stocks. All I can say is that I wish I had picked up some of their stock. Lord knows, I had thought about it.

Back