Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/apple-rejects-tsmc-price-hike-next-year.16757/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Apple rejects TSMC price hike next year

"According to Weibo news, according to the breaking news of mobile phone chip experts on Weibo, Apple officially rejected the price increase request of tsmc (TSMC) in 2023, and Apple is stronger than tsmc!"

I have not been able to confirm this but what choice does Apple have for their volumes and packaging requirements? Samsung or Intel? I don't think so. TSMC is holding all of the cards here. One thing I will tell you is that the TSMC/Apple relationship has been industry changing for all. Apple is the reason why TSMC beat Intel and Samsung in the FinFET race and TSMC is the reason Apple iProducts have been industry leading at the SoC level. I highly doubt TSMC and Apple are fighting over a 3% price hike.

"According to Weibo news, according to the breaking news of mobile phone chip experts on Weibo, Apple officially rejected the price increase request of tsmc (TSMC) in 2023, and Apple is stronger than tsmc!"

I have not been able to confirm this but what choice does Apple have for their volumes and packaging requirements? Samsung or Intel? I don't think so. TSMC is holding all of the cards here. One thing I will tell you is that the TSMC/Apple relationship has been industry changing for all. Apple is the reason why TSMC beat Intel and Samsung in the FinFET race and TSMC is the reason Apple iProducts have been industry leading at the SoC level. I highly doubt TSMC and Apple are fighting over a 3% price hike.

Apple has this habit of pressure suppliers to lower the price every year

Why believe any one who claims to know the negotiations between Apple and TSMC? Apple and TSMC have a symbiotic relationship. Both have excellent, but reasonable gross margins. Both produce the best products in their categories. Apple's high volume business helps TSMC invest aggressive in silicon process. TSMC's leading process, give Apple's silicon designers the confidence to push beyond their smartphone and PC competitors. Both can invest with 3 or more year horizons.

Back