Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/apple-and-intel-become-first-to-adopt-tsmcs-latest-chip-tech.14410/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Apple and Intel become first to adopt TSMC's latest chip tech

Daniel why do you think Intel got access to TSMCs 3nm in the First Place? I can hardly belive That TSMC will give Intel any high volume on leading edge. Now with IDM2.0 there would be no money in the world i would give Intel the PDK…
TSMC sold 3nm to Bob Swan, who seemed to be warming up to the fabless model. IDM 2.0 is Pat Gelsingers abortion baby.

TSMC sold 3nm to Bob Swan, who seemed to be warming up to the fabless model. IDM 2.0 is Pat Gelsingers abortion baby.
Yes but Why? For Short term Profits? There will be a Supply issue on leading edge the next years…Why Not Stick with your close Partners?(Apple, AMD, QCom, eG) instead sell you hottest product to one of your competitors? I See no sense in TSMC giving Intel access ? Maybe soneone could explain why it happend?

Daniel why do you think Intel got access to TSMCs 3nm in the First Place? I can hardly belive That TSMC will give Intel any high volume on leading edge. Now with IDM2.0 there would be no money in the world i would give Intel the PDK…

Intel wrote TSMC a very big check. Remember, TSMC and Intel signed the N3 wafer agreement under Bob Swan not Pat Gelsinger. Bob's strategy was Intel going fab light which was right in line with TSMC's business model with other IDMs. Pat Gelsinger got the CEO job with is IDM 2.0 pitch and now TSMC and Intel are foundry frenemies, which as I said before there is no such thing, it is now just enemies. Which is why TSMC is building fabs in AZ right down the way from Intel and and building a talent base even larger than Intel.

Yes but Why? For Short term Profits? There will be a Supply issue on leading edge the next years…Why Not Stick with your close Partners?(Apple, AMD, QCom, eG) instead sell you hottest product to one of your competitors? I See no sense in TSMC giving Intel access ? Maybe soneone could explain why it happend?
I think it makes sense. The first thing that the agreement was signed by Bob Swan and there was no IDM 2.0 strategy back then. The second thing is that it probably doesn't matter. TSMC will expand incredibly fast and secure itself even more dominant position under the conditions. And when Intel leaves. Other customers, like AMD, will probably eat huge chunk of capacity. AMD and Apple are keys to TSMC success. And TSMC will try to do anything to satisfy them.

Historically, TSMC has served many IDMs from the get-go. IDMs saw TSMC as a plan B. Once the node advanced, most IDMs found it is a lot cheaper to stay with TSMC and the whole fabless operations. And little by little, TSMC has become their plan A. For TSMC, that is the reason why there is no need to differentiate IMD from fabless customers. Will it work this time on Intel to some degree? We will find out later.

Intel wrote TSMC a very big check. Remember, TSMC and Intel signed the N3 wafer agreement under Bob Swan not Pat Gelsinger. Bob's strategy was Intel going fab light which was right in line with TSMC's business model with other IDMs. Pat Gelsinger got the CEO job with is IDM 2.0 pitch and now TSMC and Intel are foundry frenemies, which as I said before there is no such thing, it is now just enemies. Which is why TSMC is building fabs in AZ right down the way from Intel and and building a talent base even larger than Intel.
I Unterstand that big money is involved but TSM would be stupid. It is not like 20 years that TSMC is #1.

If wafer agreements are Weizen in such a way that your Customer can directly compete with you??

I think yes Intel got N3 wafers but Not many and certainly not next year before apple

Back