Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/amd-in-a-major-deal-with-meta-facebook.14932/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

AMD in a major deal with Meta (Facebook)

count

Big news for AMD today!

I'm a happy AMD shareholder. Once the deal with Xilinx closes, the combined company will be larger than Intel by market cap.

All these chips will of course be manufactured by TSMC. There is a good chance that AMD will become TSMC largest customer as the company ramps up it's sales into datacenter and HPC.

Meanwhile, Gelsinger is still boasting about “I have more cement trucks working for me than I think any other person on the planet.”. Maybe he wants to get into construction business too?

Meanwhile, Gelsinger is still boasting about “I have more cement trucks working for me than I think any other person on the planet.”. Maybe he wants to get into construction business too?
He will have to beat the Avago guy

What is the scope of the current META activities as it relates to EPYC servers? Is Facebook going to migrate everything to AMD(sorry but i throw up a little bit when I say Meta - can't put Stephenson and Zuckerberg in same sentence)? Or is the pledge to host META operations on EPYC processors at some point in the future? Seems lackluster in the near term given that the announcement from Meta didn't have any actual product or launch to go with it.
Frankly, I'm surprised FB didn't go the Amazon/Apple route of just developing their own chips. Its what all the cool kids are doing.

Amd is faster than Intel but not there always something that doesn't work right like the screen brightness or webcam.

M1x is the best but few can afford it. Mediatek Chrome books are probably the second. I'm not happy with any of the products with amd or intel.

Amd is faster than Intel but not there always something that doesn't work right like the screen brightness or webcam.

M1x is the best but few can afford it. Mediatek Chrome books are probably the second. I'm not happy with any of the products with amd or intel.
It’s because in the past Microsoft has prioritized making windows work with Intel (thus Wintel). Its irrelevant for hyperscalers who use Linux and write their own drivers.

It’s because in the past Microsoft has prioritized making windows work with Intel (thus Wintel). Its irrelevant for hyperscalers who use Linux and write their own drivers.
Amd's relationship with nvidia is something Intel doesn't have.

I remember this story.

Big news for AMD today!

I'm a happy AMD shareholder. Once the deal with Xilinx closes, the combined company will be larger than Intel by market cap.

All these chips will of course be manufactured by TSMC. There is a good chance that AMD will become TSMC largest customer as the company ramps up it's sales into datacenter and HPC.
Well, obviously you jinxed AMD :)

Big news for AMD today!

"In her keynote address for the Data Center Premier event this week, AMD chief executive officer Lisa Su brought it all home with a single comparison: A single Instinct MI200 accelerator has more raw performance, at any bit precision, than a whole six-GPU, two-CPU node of the Summit supercomputer. Chew on that for a bit."

Source: https://www.nextplatform.com/2021/11/09/the-aldebaran-amd-gpu-that-won-exascale/

amd-mi200-comparison-table-3.jpg

Back