Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/ai-and-chess-does-anyone-know-about-us-champion-caruannas-new-opening.8822/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

AI and chess - Does anyone know about US champion Caruanna's new opening

S

smeyer0028

This appeared in today's Financial Times Chess column:
"The US champion and world No. 2 unleashed a brilliant
opening novelty, which incendently showed the limitations
of the most powerful computers."

Does anyone know anything more about this? I do
not understand chess, just enough to sort of read
newspaper chess columns.

If Deep learning AI chips were real, shouldn't this
innovation be impossible?

I could find no article on Chess in the Financial Times about Caruana. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Computerized chess has often beat the world's best grand master players over the past few decades.

I could find no article on Chess in the Financial Times about Caruana. Can you provide a link? Thanks.

Sorry, I read the orange print edition I buy from a newstand. I think there is a online
same edition but my free trial has run out. I could scan in a copy and post it. Is that
considered fair use?

Here is the article. I think the best players have adapted so there
are maybe 100 or so grand masters who can now beat the best
computers (faster computers will not help I think).

I am try to attach scanned in article. If it does not work, can you
tell me how to do it. The scanned in pdf is 6 MB that the message
system says is too big.

Leonard Barden writes a chess article at The Guardian, not the Financial Times. Which publication date is the article that you read?

It was the New Years weekend edition that lists both Saturday Dec. 31 and Sunday
Jan. 1 . I read the weekend FT to keep up with London culture. Article is is near the
end of the Life and Arts section. I think FT does not have a regular chess columnist
but every weekend has a chess article with an interesting game position usually a mistake
with the right answer (iafter the fact) on the last page of the section.

There was another interesting article on human chess player reaction to supposedly superior computer chess programs discussed in Leonard Barton's Financial Times column this weekend (14/15 Oct. weekend US edition). The best human chess players are changing to what are seemingly inferior opening such as Magnus Carlsen's A3 (left rook pawn advances one square) because "Grandmasters are turning to the byways of opening theory as powerful programs analyze main lines to a depth unimaginable before the age of computers." Computer chess program "intelligence" is not way beyond human skill, but computers are a tool that allows large improvement in human ability to analyze chess moves. This is similar to microscopes as tools that allow understanding biological cells in previously impossible ways.

US champion Fabio Caruana is still in the for front of using computers as a tool to analyze positions. He found a variation on a well established opening "Caruana found a nuance at move 19 which was so strong that he had a won game while still in his prep."

Barton sums up the reaction to computers as "Carlson's message is clear. Offbeat openings can save a lot of wasted preparation."

Since my last post there has been another development on the Kasparov match. Kasperov published the book: "Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins" published May 2017. Kasperov blames the Deep Blue team psychological harassment for his loss. It was Kasperov versus a group of chess masters with access to a very good chess position analysis tool versus Kasparov in Kasperov's view.

I wonder if robotic vehicles will become car's with computer sensors to help drivers.

Back