Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/the-age-of-ai-has-begun-bill-gates.17663/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

The Age of AI has begun (Bill Gates)

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Artificial intelligence is as revolutionary as mobile phones and the Internet.
By Bill Gates March 21, 2023

The Age of AI has begun.jpg

In my lifetime, I’ve seen two demonstrations of technology that struck me as revolutionary.

The first time was in 1980, when I was introduced to a graphical user interface—the forerunner of every modern operating system, including Windows. I sat with the person who had shown me the demo, a brilliant programmer named Charles Simonyi, and we immediately started brainstorming about all the things we could do with such a user-friendly approach to computing. Charles eventually joined Microsoft, Windows became the backbone of Microsoft, and the thinking we did after that demo helped set the company’s agenda for the next 15 years.

The second big surprise came just last year. I’d been meeting with the team from OpenAI since 2016 and was impressed by their steady progress. In mid-2022, I was so excited about their work that I gave them a challenge: train an artificial intelligence to pass an Advanced Placement biology exam. Make it capable of answering questions that it hasn’t been specifically trained for. (I picked AP Bio because the test is more than a simple regurgitation of scientific facts—it asks you to think critically about biology.) If you can do that, I said, then you’ll have made a true breakthrough.

I thought the challenge would keep them busy for two or three years. They finished it in just a few months..........

The Age of AI has begun

AI will drive the semiconductor industry for years to come so we should be happy. Unfortunately, AI can be used for good as well as evil so let's focus on the greater good and make sure it can overcome the evil. Same goes for smart phones, social media and other disruptive technologies so we have been through this many times before.

I had an encounter with AI last week with my grandson. We had just finished lunch and were walking across the parking lot when a Tesla pulled up to us. We paused and waved them by but they did not move. I noticed that there was not a driver so my grandson and I stepped back and waited for it to pass. The guy behind us had summoned the car. I normally don't walk in front of a car until I have eye contact with the driver. No driver no eye contact so no crossing.

I know several companies who are using OpenAI. One example is using GPT for product support. AI will plumb the depts of your support tickets and learn how to do email and even phone support. The downside is that AI will know all about your products strengths and weaknesses which could be used against you if it falls into a competitor's hands. This is an open source tool right?

It reminds me of when open source Linux first came about. It wasn't until Redhat and others "professionalized" Linux by providing security and support that it made it into and now dominates the compute world.

Thoughts?

Definitely a phase change event.

Two major areas I look for improvements. One is much better curation of sources, especially when creating the foundation models which will be retrained for specialties. It is like libraries used to be Fiction and Nonfiction. Could we have some AIs trained on nonfiction? There will need to be deep investments in the quality of training materials. You can't stop an LLM from hallucinating - that is how it works - so you need to help it avoid the nightmares.

Second, integration with other kinds of framework. The integration with factual search could be greatly improved. We are starting to see some citations but you can still cause it to invent non-existent ones. But also reasoning in general. Think of it as a fusion with Wolfram - I'm sure he is already looking at this, since Stephen has written some good essays recently on LLM.

Second, integration with other kinds of framework. The integration with factual search could be greatly improved. We are starting to see some citations but you can still cause it to invent non-existent ones. But also reasoning in general. Think of it as a fusion with Wolfram - I'm sure he is already looking at this, since Stephen has written some good essays recently on LLM.
Ask and you shall receive: https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/03/chatgpt-gets-its-wolfram-superpowers/

Back