Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/ai-a-criminal-tool-safeguards-needed-now.17662/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

AI, a Criminal Tool? Safeguards Needed Now

Arthur Hanson

I just had a talk with my bank and they said people are just running random credit card numbers until they get a hit and start making multiple charges fast. After some thought I feel readily accessible AI programs might being set up for this. It looks like with some training an AI program could generate hits using a pool of legitimate numbers and figuring out the patterns to randomly guess real numbers and test them. Any thoughts or comments in this area would be appreciated. AI looks poised to be abused, like any other power, by people with less than good intentions. This will be a point, counter point game like any other. It is time to explore and set up safeguards for this tremendous and increasing power.

The genie isn't going back in the bottle.

I have an RTX 3090 with 24 GB GDDRAM and a 16 core CPU system with 64 GB of RAM. Apparently that's good enough to run LLaMa at 30 Billion parameters. 7 Billion Alpaca LLaMa gets the same results as text-davinci-003. Which was quite damn good. sure ChatGPT3.5 was 175 Billion, and you would need one of those new Nvidia H100 dual GPU chips with 96 GB HBM each chip to be able to run it. The new ChatGPT 4.0 is 100 trillion parameters. Obviously you need a server farm lol.
If any hack with an internet connection, or an RTX 3090 is able to run a 7 Billion Alpaca LLaMa on their GPU, then expect there to be a criminal element that uses it for bad as well as people, who use it for good.

There are no safeguards for this.

It's just computer programmers doing what they do. Programming, and making use of the hardware available to them to achieve their goals.

If you think this is bad, just wait until quantum computers get into everyday peoples hands. It'll really break the banking system.

It would be like using a quantum computer to crack bitcoins algorithm in the 10 minute window that you have, then print yourself as many bitcoins as you want, then sell them immediately before the news gets out and spreads.
what's 1 bitcoin worth now? $28.5k USD. If that isn't a goal that someone out there in the world has, i doubt it. $535.43B.

The current market cap of Bitcoin is $535.43B. A high market capitalization implies that the asset is highly valued by the market. Imagine wiping out 535.43B billion in one hack. The billions you can make in one hack, which would wipe out hundreds of billions in value of others, because if a digital currency gets hacked like that, and it can just be raining bitcoins, then it's worthless.

Last edited:
Back