Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-tsm-have-orders-to-replace-apples-cuts.16786/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will TSM have orders to replace Apple's cuts?

Arthur Hanson

As Apple cuts orders for iPhone chips, will TSM who runs full bore most of the time have other orders to fill the gap? Any thoughts, observations or even speculation welcome. Apple did decide not to increase production to 96 million units from the originally planned 90 million units.

Last edited:
As Apple cuts orders for iPhone chips, will TSM who runs full bore most of the time have other orders to fill the gap? Any thoughts, obsrvations or even speculation welcoms.

TSM raised revenues from 30% to 35% last quarter so I don't think 2022 will change. 2023 is looking cloudy with a chance of rain but not the hurricane that some are predicting.

TSM has said most of this year that customer inventories are high so there will be a correction. Personally I do not think this will be a big correction. Semiconductor content is increasing in all industries and semiconductor supply is increasing steadily so pricing will stabilize. Just my opinion of course.

I would also like to say that the semiconductor supply chain has never been stronger and further optimizations are being made. 2023 will be an interesting year. Yes the industry could take a bit hit but we will be prepared for a fast recovery if that does in fact happen.

China seems to be the big question. I have not been to China since the pandemic so I have no first hand experience there. I do have friends and colleagues in China but the sentiment I'm getting is mixed. Some say they are at the bottom (mostly due to Covid) some say the worst is yet to come.

PC and phone market are not shrinking. Just back to normal. We only need 3-4 quarters to adjust extra inventory on hand. The market will be healthy again in 2024. Advance node shortage could happened again if HPC grow more than expected.

Back