Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/intel-elects-lip-bu-tan-to-its-board-of-directors.16526/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Intel Elects Lip-Bu Tan to Its Board of Directors

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Wow, great addition!

Lip-Bu_Tan.jpg

SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Intel Corporation today announced that Lip‑Bu Tan, executive chairman of Cadence Design Systems Inc., chairman of Walden International, and founding managing partner of Celesta Capital and Walden Catalyst Ventures, was elected to Intel’s board of directors, effective Sept. 1, 2022. Tan will join the M&A Committee of Intel’s board of directors.

“Lip-Bu is a well-respected global leader in the semiconductor industry, and we are delighted to welcome him to Intel’s board of directors,” said Omar Ishrak, chairman of the Intel board. “His software, semiconductor and venture capital expertise, deep ecosystem relationships and significant public company board experience will bring additional valuable perspective to Intel’s board.”

Tan, 62, has served since 2021 as executive chairman of Cadence, a computational software company providing solutions used to design and develop complex semiconductor chips and electronic systems, and since 2004 as a member of its board. He served as chief executive officer of Cadence from 2009 to 2021 and as president from 2009 to 2017.

“Intel is an iconic company with a rich history, and I am honored to join its board of directors,” Tan said. “Under Pat Gelsinger’s bold leadership, Intel is undergoing a massive transformation to capitalize on the tremendous opportunities that lie ahead, and I look forward to being a part of this exciting journey.”

Tan brings extensive public company board experience to Intel. In addition to his role on Cadence’s board, he also serves on the boards of Credo Technology Group Holding Ltd. and Schneider Electric SE. At Carnegie Mellon University, he serves on the board of trustees and the School of Engineering Dean’s Council; and at the University of California, Berkeley, he serves on the Engineering Advisory Board and its Division of Computing, Data Science, and Society Advisory Board. Previously, he served as a director of several public companies, including SoftBank Group Corp. from 2020 to 2022; Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company from 2015 to 2021; Advanced Micro-Fabrication Equipment Inc. China (AMEC), a global semiconductor microfabrication equipment company, from 2005 to 2020; and Flextronics International Ltd. from 2003 to 2012.

He holds a Bachelor of Science in physics from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, a Master of Science in nuclear engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an MBA from the University of San Francisco. He was recently named the 2022 recipient of the Semiconductor Industry Association’s highest honor, the Robert N. Noyce Award.

About Intel
Intel (Nasdaq: INTC) is an industry leader, creating world-changing technology that enables global progress and enriches lives. Inspired by Moore’s Law, we continuously work to advance the design and manufacturing of semiconductors to help address our customers’ greatest challenges. By embedding intelligence in the cloud, network, edge and every kind of computing device, we unleash the potential of data to transform business and society for the better. To learn more about Intel’s innovations, go to newsroom.intel.com and intel.com.

© Intel Corporation. Intel, the Intel logo and other Intel marks are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Contacts​

Penelope Bruce
Media Relations
1-408-893-0601
Penelope.Bruce@intel.com

Timothy Blankenship
Investor Relations
1-408-765-7700
Timothy.Blankenship@intel.com

This is a great addition to Intel. I'm wondering if intel's Board is preparing some major changes inside and outside of the Board.

This is a great addition to Intel. I'm wondering if intel's Board is preparing some major changes inside and outside of the Board.

I guess Intel is moving to Cadence. Price? Likely having something to do with Intel's fab business.

I guess Intel is moving to Cadence. Price? Likely having something to do with Intel's fab business.
By definition, Intel IFS will have to support the tools used by their customers - i.e. Synopsys and Cadence based design flows, plus some other suppliers.

This looks like a good move by Intel. Lip-Bu did a fantastic job turning round Cadence and seems to have been a success pretty much everywhere he's been involved.

By definition, Intel IFS will have to support the tools used by their customers - i.e. Synopsys and Cadence based design flows, plus some other suppliers.

This looks like a good move by Intel. Lip-Bu did a fantastic job turning round Cadence and seems to have been a success pretty much everywhere he's been involved.

Other than Pat Gelsinger, Mr. Tan will be the only person who has experience in managing major semiconductor companies in the Intel's Board. How strange is it?

Because major EDA companies all have close collaborations with Intel's competitors, I think he will be very careful with it. Then what exactly Intel can get from Mr. Tan's expertise? Or is it because his investment/venture capital knowledge? Is Intel working on a major merge acquisition deal or a spinoff?

Back