Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/access-to-asml-equipment-for-smic.13623/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Access to ASML equipment for SMIC?

Arthur Hanson

Access to ASML equipment could bring the Chinese political problems to the forefront by limiting SMIC's ability to compete or supply the home market. Since this equipment is so specialized, could this be the end of the technology line for them or more likely China will pull out all the stops to get access to the needed equipment? Any thoughts on what the outcome of this conflict will be?

Access to ASML equipment could bring the Chinese political problems to the forefront by limiting SMIC's ability to compete or supply the home market. Since this equipment is so specialized, could this be the end of the technology line for them or more likely China will pull out all the stops to get access to the needed equipment? Any thoughts on what the outcome of this conflict will be?

What's the rush? SMIC can't get 14nm to yield and it is difficult to design to. I remember working with SMIC 20 years ago on foundation IP. They couldn't get it right then and they still struggle now. 14nm supposedly hit mass production in 2019 yet it is a very small portion (1-2%) of total revenue. What a joke. SMIC can now blame the US for their technology failures moving forward I guess. The days of shamelessly copying TSMC processes is certainly over, absolutely.

What's the rush? SMIC can't get 14nm to yield and it is difficult to design to. I remember working with SMIC 20 years ago on foundation IP. They couldn't get it right then and they still struggle now. 14nm supposedly hit mass production in 2019 yet it is a very small portion (1-2%) of total revenue. What a joke. SMIC can now blame the US for their technology failures moving forward I guess. The days of shamelessly copying TSMC processes is certainly over, absolutely.
two sources told me, China's semi just isn't competitive.

1. from Daniel, during the Moore's laws is dead podcast interview when someone ask him about the "Big Red".

2. this interview (in Chinese) with Powerchips Semiconductor's founder. he said the manufacturing cost in China for semiconductor is higher than Taiwan. he said Taiwan have the lowest cost compare to the rest of the world. i'm not a industry insider. i'm just a TSMC investor/software developer. i have no insider knowledge but if a founder of a foundry said it. i'll take his words for it.

so i agree with Daniel. SMIC can't get 14nm to work why even worry about EUV?

Back