Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/what-amazon-is-to-retail-tsm-is-to-chips.13111/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

What Amazon is to retail, TSM is to chips

Arthur Hanson

TSM is already the dominate chip maker in the world and just continues to extend its lead through a model that gives it totally superior economics compared to everyone else and the lead is only growing. The ecosystem that TSM has built is now feeding on itself to such a point that no one has a chance of catching up. This has taken Taiwan and TSM to a point they are a fulcrum point of the world economy. It will be interesting to see how the world copes with this immense and growing power exerted by them and their partners around the world.

I wonder how a closer control take-over of Taiwan by China would influence this That may just completely disrupt TSMC's influence and rise. Thoughts?

After what China has done in Hong Kong by showing a total disregard for treaties they have signed, nothing is out of the question. Taiwan is much more critical to the world than Hong Kong and far more technically advanced. I don't see Taiwan laying down for the Chinese and would make an international mess that would have the power to start a world war. China has shown clearly, by any means possible they want to build their own semi industry by ANY means possible. I hope China, being a great power will have great wisdom and find collaboration and cooperation will yield far far better results at a far lower cost financially and politically. I truly hope a win win scenarios can be worked out to the benefit of everyone. Pushing research is far far cheaper than economic or physical war. Maximizing the value of its people should be the goal or all countries and building mutually beneficial relationships. Tech should be no exception to this and actually become a leader for tech enables collaboration easily if politics can be put aside.

The problem is that politics always overrides wisdom! We have too many examples of that (just look at this country right now). But I do like your positive scenario. Let's hope they'll keep their hands off Taiwan.

The countries that truly master collaboration and cooperation will win, unless an outside force more interested in leading through destruction, theft and deceit throws a monkey wrench into the process hurting everyone including themselves. The first goal of any relationship should be to maximize the potential and productivity of all parties. Sadly, many believe in winning by creating losers. Wisdom is one thing the world truly has a shortage of. Just look at the amount of money spent on military, police and putting people in prison, which in many cases are poor options resulting from a failure in the system.

Back