Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-tsm-ever-become-an-analog-foundry.12764/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will TSM ever become an analog foundry?

Arthur Hanson

TSM obviously has many of the resources of all types to become an analog foundry, will TSM ever pursue this? This question and any other thoughts on TSM expanding into new areas would be appreciated.

TSMC will certainly fab your analog IP and have been doing so for many years now.

TSMC will certainly fab your analog IP and have been doing so for many years now.

Dan, how do you feel about Analog Devices and Maxim combining as competitors to TSM in this area. Will TSM dominate as they do in most areas? What is the competitive landscape like in this area and who are the serious players? Any other comments or observations in this area would be appreciated. Thank You for the information.

ADI and MXIM are big TSMC customers. I'm still trying to find out why they merged. Both companies seemed to be doing very well. Your thoughts?

TI is the other big analog player which competes directly with MXIM. Now ADI can go after TI with a better economies of scale?

Dan, how do you feel about Analog Devices and Maxim combining as competitors to TSM in this area. Will TSM dominate as they do in most areas? What is the competitive landscape like in this area and who are the serious players? Any other comments or observations in this area would be appreciated. Thank You for the information.

Last edited:
Dan, I feel TSM will expand into many areas creating disruption as the economics, financial, patent, copyright, engineering power with near total government cooperation really start to come into play. TSM has more opportunities than almost all companies in almost every type of hardware imaginable with ever more expansion creating additional opportunities. It is now a chess game where the use of their extensive resources is key. TSM as everyone knows is creating an ever widening moat with many, many options for expansion. They have also been careful to keep intricate and deep relationships with their partners that will get only deeper, with Apple and others such as equipment suppliers giving them an ever wider edge over the competition. TSM is demonstrating its talents not only in technology, but winning strategies with a long term view in almost everything they touch. Like I have said, TSM has reached critical mass and best may be yet to come. I will take a closer look and ADI and MXIM over the weekend, but I suspect TSM will have a heavy hand in their further success. TSM is literally becoming one of the key crown jewels of the world, as your would say, absolutely.

Back