[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Hspice wrong output

ashueda

Hi
I am new to HSpice and simulating a simple voltage divider , the netlist is as follows,
Code:
*** TOP LEVEL CELL: R_divider{sch}
R0 vout vin 10k
R1 0 vout 10k

* Spice Code nodes in cell cell 'R_divider{sch}'
v1 vin 0 sin(0 5 1k)
.OPTIONS LIST NODE POST
.tran 1u 5m
.print tran v(vout) v(vin)
.END

when I simulate it using HSPICE J-2014.09-SP2 all is well, output is coming as expected in CosmosScope
cosmos3.png

also in avanwaves output is coming as expected,
awaves2.png

but in my another lab where HSPICE L-2016.06-SP1 is installed, simulating the same netlist with HSPICE L-2016.06-SP1 output on cosmosScope is comming like this,
cosmos1.png

I thought it is x-axis scale problem but after scaling the x-axis,
cosmos2.png

on avanwaves when i try to open the .tr0 file it gives error,
awaves.png

I am unable to figure out what is happening,
please help me
Actually I have to work in the new HSPICE L-2016 so please help me getting the correct output.
thanks in advance
thanks

Time to call the local AE and file a bug report with Synopsys. Somehow it looks like the .tr0 file got corrupted. Can you re-run the simulation using a different output file name and see what happens?

Thanks for your reply, I also tried a simple CMOS inverter, the netlist is as follows,
Code:
Inverter Circuit

M1 OUT IN VDD VDD CMOSP L=0.18u W=1.8u
M2 OUT IN 0 0 CMOSN L=0.18U W=0.9U
VDD VDD 0 1.8
VIN IN 0 0 PULSE 0 1.8 2n .5n .5n 7n 20n
CLOAD OUT 0 20fF

.OPTIONS LIST NODE POST
.TRAN 200p 20n
.PRINT TRAN V(IN) V(OUT)
.LIB "tsmc_018um_model" CMOS_MODELS     
.END

again the same story repeats,
when I simulate it using HSPICE J-2014.09-SP2 all is well, output is coming as expected in CosmosScope
J2014cosmosScope.png

also in avanwaves output is coming as expected,
J2014avanwaves.png

but in my another lab where HSPICE L-2016.06-SP1 is installed, simulating the same netlist with HSPICE L-2016.06-SP1 output on cosmosScope is comming like this,
L2016cosmosScope.png

even on changing the x-axis to (0 to 20n) the output is,
L2016cosmosScope1.png

on avanwaves when i try to open the .tr0 file it gives error,
L2016avanwaves.png

I have tried changing different filenames, different file locations, license server restart, pc restart etc.... but no luck.

Please tell me how to resolve my problem.
thanks

Kindly reply what should i do ?,
is there any way or forum, email etc to ask this problem directly to the synopsys hspice team? I could not register to the synopsys community because Non-customer community registrations have been temporarily paused.

All the students, teachers and users of HSPICE L2016 I met till now in my friend circle report the same problem, all are saying that HSPICE L2016 has some bug and produces corrupt simulation output files, and the left it and lost the hope completely.

Please tell me how to ask to synopsys hspice personals about this problem, it is my last hope.

I worked at Synopsys for more than 9 years and I can tell you that it is not a friendly company (inside and outside). I have used HSpice at Intel for Signal Integrity because that is what they forced me to use. Since you are a student, you should ask your university to get Saber Designer (may have diferent versions of names but all start with Saber) from Synopsys (they had an university program and it is free for students). The short story about HSpice is that the company Avant! Corp which bought Analogy (the inventor of SaberDesigner suites) has realized that CosmosScope (originally SaberScope) is the best waveform viewer and post processing tool in the industry and they stopped any development of Avanwave (which sucks anyway). Also, after the merger of Avant! Corp with Synopsys, the trend of migration of all the software to C++ has started but for HSpice the migration was not finnished and left unfinnished. I found out about it after I encounter a problem with DC solution in HSpice so I used an older version just to get a DC file and used it with the latest (at that time) version of HSpice. I called a friend at Synopsys to explain the case and he told me about the fact the Sysnopsis didn't finnish the migration of HSpice to C++ and just abandoned the process.
If you you are designing electronics circuits (or mixed domain/technology) you shouldn't use HSpice but use Saber. I solved many design problems at Intel using Saber but that was because I knew the license pool has Saber in it, but Synopsys had a policy of hiding the fact that Saber is a better tool than HSpice and other tools they were selling at very high price. The sad thing is that Intel engineers (with a few exceptions) have no idea about the fact they have acces to a tool which can help them to design or solve design issues and that is because Synopsys is not talking about Saber and never advertised it. It may sound strange, but that it is because of the BS from sales and from some managers which hate competition for their tools and Saber came as an outsider via the merger. Synopsys could not recycle Saber because the aerospace defense companies are using it and Airbus is using Saber as the main design & simulation tool to integrate all the electronics from more than 200 vendors (which are forced to use Saber).

Hi ashueda

I work at Synopsys and I would like to help. I ran a few tests and it seems like the problem is with CScope. This issue is present in the 2015 version of CScope, but it has been resolved in the 2016 and later versions.
Do you have the ability to use a newer version of CScope, or request an upgrade to a later version? Or perhaps use a different waveform viewer, such as Custom WaveView (which is the default waveform viewer we recommend for analog waveforms).
If you require technical assistance, please also try SolvNet at http://solvnet.synopsys.com, or contact the Synopsys Support Center at 800-245-8005.

Thanks for your reply but as far as I think it is not the problem of cosmosscope, because the .tr0, .sw0 files produced by the hspice2016 are not opening in any waveform viewer, I tried several waveform viewers say cscope, avanwaves, WaveView, gaw, gwave, etc. and the .tr0, .sw0 files produced by the hspice2014 are opening in every waveform viewer.

So it indicates it is not the problem of waveform viewers, it is the problem of hspice2016 simulator itself, it seems it is producing corrupt files.

You may want to try saving in fsdb format in HSPICE. Include the following line before the ".end" in your netlist:
.option fsdb=1

Besides that, I also sent you a private message with my contact info a couple of weeks ago. Feel free to reach out if this issue is still unresolved.

Back