Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/globalfoundries-pulls-out-of-chengdu.12599/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

GlobalFoundries Pulls Out of Chengdu

clhende

I recently saw a headline (buried in much of the other news) about GlobalFoundries pulling out of their Chengdu site. I would be curious to hear the community's take on this. I don't think GlobalFoundries was putting up a lot of their own money for this factory, just the Chinese state/local governments. Perhaps GlobalFoundries sees the writing on the wall with regard to doing business in China? If the US and China are still at loggerheads after the US 2020 elections, I would expect to see more companies begin to pull out as well. Thoughts?

Fake news...... GF official response:

GF's commitment to Chengdu and China has not changed. Much of the information in the recent news reports regarding changes with GF-Chengdu joint venture (“JV”) are either inaccurate or misleading. As previously announced in 2018, together with our partners GF has realigned our Chengdu JV to bypass phase 1 of our joint venture (which was focused on 180nm and 130nm CMOS technologies). With Phase 1 concluded, the small number of operational employees who were working in this initial phase have met their employment obligations under the JV and have separated based on mutual agreement. GF and the Chengdu government continue to work together to build a local technology infrastructure to better support our Chinese customers and bring differentiated solutions to the China market.

I recently saw a headline (buried in much of the other news) about GlobalFoundries pulling out of their Chengdu site. I would be curious to hear the community's take on this. I don't think GlobalFoundries was putting up a lot of their own money for this factory, just the Chinese state/local governments. Perhaps GlobalFoundries sees the writing on the wall with regard to doing business in China? If the US and China are still at loggerheads after the US 2020 elections, I would expect to see more companies begin to pull out as well. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Back