Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/%E2%80%98pathetic%E2%80%99-performance-has-left-u-s-%E2%80%98well-behind%E2%80%99-china-in-5g-race-ex-google-ceo-eric-schmidt-says.15605/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

‘Pathetic’ performance has left U.S. ‘well behind’ China in 5G race, ex-Google CEO Eric Schmidt says

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
KEY POINTS
  • The U.S. government’s “dithering” has left the country “well behind” China in the race to build out 5G technology, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt said in a Wall Street Journal op-ed.

• Schmidt and co-author Graham Allison, a Harvard professor, urged the Biden administration to make 5G a “national priority”, otherwise, “China will own the 5G future.”

• The authors said 5G development is key as applications could “advantage a country’s intelligence agencies and enhance its military capabilities.”

The U.S. government’s “dithering” has left the country “well behind” China in the race to build out 5G technology, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt said, as he urged Washington to step up investment in the next-generation internet technology.

Writing in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, Schmidt and Graham Allison, a professor of government at Harvard, said that America is “far behind in almost every dimension of 5G while other nations—including China — race ahead.”

The authors urged the Biden administration to make 5G a “national priority.” Otherwise, they said, “China will own the 5G future.”

KEY POINTS
  • The U.S. government’s “dithering” has left the country “well behind” China in the race to build out 5G technology, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt said in a Wall Street Journal op-ed.

• Schmidt and co-author Graham Allison, a Harvard professor, urged the Biden administration to make 5G a “national priority”, otherwise, “China will own the 5G future.”

• The authors said 5G development is key as applications could “advantage a country’s intelligence agencies and enhance its military capabilities.”

The U.S. government’s “dithering” has left the country “well behind” China in the race to build out 5G technology, former Google CEO Eric Schmidt said, as he urged Washington to step up investment in the next-generation internet technology.

Writing in an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, Schmidt and Graham Allison, a professor of government at Harvard, said that America is “far behind in almost every dimension of 5G while other nations—including China — race ahead.”

The authors urged the Biden administration to make 5G a “national priority.” Otherwise, they said, “China will own the 5G future.”

5G is much faster but I'm still trying to understand what exactly its impact on the economic development, business, education, manufacturing, science research, transportation, healthcare, and entertainment. Many of those applications are comfortably and reliably running on wired Internet connections already.

My T-Mobile 5G speed seems OK to me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220221-143702.png
    Screenshot_20220221-143702.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 77
5G is much faster but I'm still trying to understand what exactly its impact on the economic development, business, education, manufacturing, science research, transportation, healthcare, and entertainment. Many of those applications are comfortably and reliably running on wired Internet connections already.

My T-Mobile 5G speed seems OK to me.
The true benefit of 5G is in IoT and Industry 4.0. Thousands of interconnected sensors/devices in densely packed factories with edge AI to squeeze every bit of advantage out of them can provide much faster/high quality/low cost manufacturing than today's production lines. I know its a bit vague and has a lot of buzz words, but thats the hope. Nobody has figured out the specifics as of yet. Doesn't make much of a difference in watching youtube videos on your phone, as you said.

The true benefit of 5G is in IoT and Industry 4.0. Thousands of interconnected sensors/devices in densely packed factories with edge AI to squeeze every bit of advantage out of them can provide much faster/high quality/low cost manufacturing than today's production lines. I know its a bit vague and has a lot of buzz words, but thats the hope. Nobody has figured out the specifics as of yet. Doesn't make much of a difference in watching youtube videos on your phone, as you said.
If it's in a factory or commercial building environment, will that be cheaper, faster, and safer to use the internal WiFi network?

Last edited:
If it's in a factory or commercial building environment, will that be cheaper, faster, and safer to use the internal WiFi network?
Cheaper?
5G is an mix of many technologies just like AI is an amalgamation of many different technologies.
In a factory 5G could be cheaper, depending on device density (number of nodes per square meter) and which subset of 5G tech is used.

Faster?
5G can definitely be faster than Wifi. Again it depends on which band of 5G is used and required latency.
WiFi doesnt have any latency guarantees which is sometimes absolutely necessary in factories.

Safer?
This is where the biggest differentiator may be. Wi-Fi is a horrible thing to use in a factory because transmitter power is limited by law to 5mW or less.
When there is huge E/M noise and many devices WiFi channels can get congested quite easily and you start dropping packets like nobody's business.
Basically using WiFi in a closed environment with many devices is a bad idea. 5G is built from the ground up to handle exactly such scenarios.
It can handle orders of magnitude more devices per area than Wifi. Again, I can't vouch for its ability to deliver on this promise because a lot of it
comes down to how manufacturers implement 5G, its cost effectiveness etc., but that's the hope anyway.

Read “Principles for Dealing with the Changing World Order” by Ray Dalio. Esp Chapter 9.
The US is on the back half of our first Big Cycle, while China is on the front half of their fourth big cycle since 600 AD.
So, knowing this, which appears to be obvious from history, what do you do if you are American?
It’s a problem with many facets. 5G competition is just one facet. The root cause of failing competitiveness, with 5G and other things, is in the Big Cycle: Overindebtedness, internal struggles.
We have to resolve root causes. If Eric wants to address root causes, I’m with him. If it’s just politics and finger wagging, not interested.

Read “Principles for Dealing with the Changing World Order” by Ray Dalio. Esp Chapter 9.
The US is on the back half of our first Big Cycle, while China is on the front half of their fourth big cycle since 600 AD.
So, knowing this, which appears to be obvious from history, what do you do if you are American?
It’s a problem with many facets. 5G competition is just one facet. The root cause of failing competitiveness, with 5G and other things, is in the Big Cycle: Overindebtedness, internal struggles.
We have to resolve root causes. If Eric wants to address root causes, I’m with him. If it’s just politics and finger wagging, not interested.
Over the weekend I watched the YouTube introduction video of Ray's book.

Although Ray presents a good perspective about the rise and fall of those superpowers in the past, I'm surprised his inability to understand the true situation of CCP/PRC, a potential replacement of USA in the superpower competition.

CCP and PRC has all those problems US has and more. For example, Ray ignored from central government to local cities and from corporations to individuals PRC is heavily and dangerous in debt.

Ray also pointed out that severe "infighting" as a warning sign for the collapse of a superpower. Ray obviously think US is qualified for that. But for whatever reason he again ignored all those life and death infightings happening everyday in CCP/PRC. For example, in the past 9 years, there are seven three-star generals (including two vice chairman of PLA Joint Chief of Staff) were put into jails because they are on the wrong side of Chairman Xi's fraction. Infighting is in CCP's DNA and Ray can't see that?

Back to our beloved semiconductor. The current PRC's state of semiconductor industry is exactly the results of infightings, corruptions, lacking rules of the law, lacking freedom of thought and freedom of speech, and again the ridiculous debt burden.

Last edited:
Back