[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. A

TSMC March 2024 Revenue Report

Great observation. A question - "TSMC is like to raise prices on 5/3nm nodes, at least". My understanding was price increase if any will be for 2025? You expecting price hike for 2024?
  2. A

Any thoughts on how the power grid will deal with AI

Does hydrogen make sense? Like the one from Bloom Energy?
  3. A

Intel partners with UMC

Daniel, I hear of disappointment with INTC 18A PDK.
  4. A

Semiconductor mission should have started 30 years ago, says PM Modi

Hi! Country's infrastructure including electricity has improved meaningfully (relatively speaking). This Govt takes initiatives and acts on them. So if they get a sincere fab proposal they will ensure it does not get derailed by infrastructure/ red tape. Separately, Tata Group knows India and I...
  5. A

Semiconductor mission should have started 30 years ago, says PM Modi

As part of my engineering course I visited this fab shortly before fire broke out. In the first decade of 2000 (recollecting from memory) Intel had discussion with Indian Govt on setting up a fab. Indian govt could not guarantee uninterrupted electricity & water. The current govt (serving its...
  6. A

UMC Reports Sales for December 2023

Dr CC Wei should guide 2024 revenue growth on Jan 18th. Going into the earnings call sell-side research expectation is north of 20% in USD.
  7. A

TSMC’s N3P to Enter Mass Production in the Second Half of Next Year, Rumored Inclusion of Tesla in Customer List

Great point. Do you think, Tesla cloud could add meaningful volume to TSMC - given Cloud server chips are quite large. Last year I came across Jefferies report that estimates by 2026 wafer consumption to produce server chips will be close to smartphone wafer consumption (though server volume is...
  8. A

Samsung Reportedly Lands a 4nm Mega Order – Why is AMD Switching to “Dual Foundry Mode” for Its Next-Gen Chips?

I read an article suggesting Groq is switching from Globalfoundries 14nm to Samsung 4nm. "Thinking ahead to that next-generation GroqChip, Ross says it will have a 15X to 20X improvement in power efficiency that comes from moving from 14 nanometer GlobalFoundries to 4 nanometer Samsung...
  9. A

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger says his company's most advanced chip design 18A will move into the test production phase by the first quarter of 2024.

Meteor Lake was meant for both desktop & laptop; now only laptop. I believe this is confirmed. There is chatter that Arrow Lake may use TSMC compute tile (in addition to GPU +I/O). I do not know how much credence to give to this.
  10. A

Taiwan Semiconductor Q3 results likely to see margin upside, Susquehanna says

China Renaissance too suggesting margin upside - led by USD appreciation
  11. A

Samsung 3nm GAA process first look with Whatsminer ASIC (TechInsights)

SUMCO commenting on GAA on its Aug 8th earnings call. Presume by "well-known player" he means TSMC. later on the same call he said GAA 110 is quite tough & may happen 2025/26. GAA 100 is earlier. I dont know the diff between GAA100 and GAA110.
  12. A

Globalfoundries Q2 2023

First comment on 2024 pricing by a foundry, Global Foundries - "we're expecting ASPs to be quite stable and to be in a pretty conducive environment to have stable ASPs through 2024".
  13. A

What will be the next big Ecosystem for Semis growth?

On its earnings call Mediatek suggested successful/ popular use cases of AI on smartphone may lead to replacement cycle. Semi content growth per smartphone for MTK is more a 2025 possibility as 2024 chip design work started before GenAI wave became popular.
  14. A

Foxconn dumps $19.5 billion Vedanta chip plan in blow to India

Vedanta & Foxconn was a strange combination. Vedanta is a large biz gp but does not have stellar reputation. Foxconn has limited semiconductor experience. Let us see if biz groups like Tata, Ambani get into semiconductor. If they enter I would expect them to have partner with serious...
  15. A

AI/ML Chips will create new demand

I suspect full scale launch of MSFT Copilot will lead to PC refresh cycle - driven by higher compute need.
  16. A

Google’s first fully custom Pixel chip, Tensor G5, coming 2025 from TSMC

Just sharing data. Samsung LSI division reported loss of 0.51tn for Jun 23 qtr compared to loss of 0.27tn Won for Mar qtr. EBIT margin at June qtr stood at negative 9%. At Samsung corporate level it does make good money on handsets, OLED. Memory has been the dominant cashflow which currently is...
  17. A

TSMC called out on ESG strategy

I recollect reading TSMC has signed the largest ever offshore wind power contract. Power supplier is Orsted. 920MW, supply starting end 2025
  18. A

What companies are best leveraging AI/ML?

EDA vendors Cadence (Cerebrus offering) and Synopsis (DSO.ai). Unsure if they are able to monetise it. AI uses cases lends itself to System Integrators (like Accenture, Indian IT companies). One can expect growing AI biz for these companies. Plus these vendors have lots of anonymized customer...
  19. A

What were the historical drivers of Foundry node investments for TSMC?

I believe Altera (FPGA) and Nvidia (GPU) led TSMC's leading edge investment. If memory serves me right there was a time when NVDA was ~20%+ revenue customer - early 2000 as per my recollection. A large NVDA order turned around TSMC's revenue/ utilisation post dot com bubble decline
Back