[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. J

India Okays $15 Billion of Milestone Chip Plant Investments

Probably infrastructure of everything except manpower and coding know how. It takes a lot of materials to run a fab. The good news for me is that they will most certainly need lots of chemical filters to keep that fab clean! :)
  2. J

Samsung targets chip fabs without human staff by 2030

Well, this should make control of airborne molecular contamination much easier! Throwing out those 200 people who produce ammonia, organics and acids galore... :)
  3. J

China Chipmaker YMTC Spent $7 Billion to Overcome U.S. Sanctions

That is correct, the secret is in processing those raw materials.
  4. J

Cannon to compete with ASML? A two horse race?

Aaah, the long and missing promise of imprint. When I started in the semiconductor industry 20.5 years ago, it was pitched to us as the up and coming new technology to replace everything, or at least be an adequate alternative to what was done back then. Which was 90nm. Is anybody actually using...
  5. J

AMAT the most important company you have never heard of(excluding SemiWiki readers)

I believe all of the tool makers other than ASML are vastly under-appreciated, it's rare that somebody focuses on them. Without these, no chip would be made or go out the door. Regardless of technology approach, SEMI is growing. The big disruption - when we will completely depart from shrinking...
  6. J

Globalfoundries wants to invest eight billion dollars in Dresden

I suspect that the German government will dial those funding expectations down significantly, citing the fact that it's not state of the art technology. Yes, it's a solid supply of chips that are needed, but it's not a "future" investment. I don't think GF will get more than half of what they...
  7. J

Will chip size and stacking replace shrink?

Intel calls its technologies beyond 1.8nm NEXT, NEXT+ and NEXT++ I wonder if they know what that will be, it will certainly be interesting to see where it goes. Years ago, I predicted that the physical limit with respect to line edge roughness, overlay etc. will be around the 3 nm node. I was...
  8. J

China could obtain EUV, far cheaper than war

$20-30B plus two decades of development. That is how long it took ASML, and they were already the #1 in development and experience making scanners. A war is only a year or less. If you mean taking over Taiwan, that would likely be done in a matter of weeks. However, that would also trigger a...
  9. J

Here are Musk's 12 best quotes from Q2 2023 Tesla Earnings Call

I do not believe that FSD with us reading news in the back while the car drives will ever happen with the hodge-podge of street types, car types, rules, signs, mix of pedestrians, cyclists and cars as it is today. We need structured streets that allow limited changes, a constant speed and...
  10. J

Samsung to give staff Friday off once a month in latest embrace of 4-day work week

You're assuming that they will do the same work, which isn't the case. For a general 4-day work week, the company needs to hire people to make up for it, shifts or work days will overlap, not everyone get Friday off. Doing the same work in 4 days means 10 hour work days, which is possible, but...
  11. J

Will AI become a weapon of war?

The answer to the title is a resounding yes, I'd be surprised if they are not already working on it, especially in Russia. What we need is the equivalent of a START agreement, but given the rampant interference that is already happening in the cross-boundary systems hacking, am not hopeful...
  12. J

No longer a phone, but an interface to AI and the world

I guess we are coming full circle here, we already had this, they called handheld devices PDA before they added the phone functionality. I had one way back when, except that it wasn't connected...
  13. J

TSMC Phoneix Arizona Fab Construction Update

See another article about TSMC's struggle to hire enough qualified people in Taiwan, they actually invest in educating high school students about semiconductors!
  14. J

Global Semiconductor Sales Decrease 2.9% Month-to-Month in November

A lot of companies stocked up because of parts shortages over the last two years, and are now facing low inventory turns as a result, so shedding excess inventory makes sense. However, if it is just inventory draw-down, why would revenue go down? Releasing inventory still creates revenue. You...
  15. J

Buffett has Chosen the Winner and it isn't Intel

It is still very much "my way or the highway", but I am seeing the development team to be more listening and more open to suggestions and new things. If that is just curiosity to see what could potentially be done for future reference or truly seeking advise to make changes, I don't know (yet).
  16. J

Are CANON going to be back in the game?

The Canon Nanotechnologies website is outdated by at least a few years. I doubt very much that imprint can compete with the resolution of EUV, so it really is a competition only for 193nm, if that. The website doesn't state anything about current resolution achievements and the technology has...
  17. J

Memory Market Collapse to Lift TSMC to Top Spot in 3Q22 Ranking

Are there estimates for the whole of 2022 yet? The picture at the end of the year likely looks different, but either way, it will be bad news for Intel. They have been leading that statistic for decades. Dropping into 3rd place would be a major change.
  18. J

Taiwan Semiconductor: How Taiwan Differs From Ukraine

If China doesn't get deterred by the global action against Russia and wanted to annex Taiwan, I don't think there would be a military strike against Taiwan. This would be a surgical procedure with specialty teams going in and taking out the government overnight, replacing it with a Chinese one...
  19. J

Intel released third quarter revenue and earnings

I don't know if this is a smoke screen to cover up problems, but laptops have all miniaturized and prorietary components. Think about the fans / cooling parts, power suppliers, motherboards etc., it is a very different component landscape than for desktops, which use very standardized and...
  20. J

Samsung Passes Intel to Become World’s Largest Semi Supplier in 2Q21

It looks like a quarter by quarter flip flop on the top spot, let's wait to see what the year-end statistic says. Intel was ahead by more last quarter, so the cumulative difference for both quarters is a mere $600M, hardly significant if the variation is $1000-$1600 per quarter... The bigger...
Back