[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. H

What Lies Ahead for Auto Industry in 2024

Well, when it comes to phones, "upgradeability" is not a big issue, because "resale value" is not a marketing point, for smartphones. But suppose you are not (considered) a premium brand, let's say you're BYD. When it comes to cars, "resale value" could be a good marketing point. You just have...
  2. H

Well, that was exactly my argument ) Visionary thinking is mostly required when it comes to cost. Just look at Tesla lowering the price of their cars, and BYD overtaking them as biggest supplier of EV's. And also when you talk about electro motors, the biggest improvement needed is cost...
  3. H

When it comes to visionary thinking, it's not what's needed for a switch to EV's. There is no rocket science involved at all. Apart from the "semiconductor" issues mentioned, which I do appreciate, but there are much bigger problems when it comes to the switch to EV's. I think the mentioned...
  4. H

Semiconductor R&D spending by company

Yeah agree to that.... However funny thing is that ITER will be depreciated really quick, it's basically a research facility. Other technologies for fusion in both the US (with lasers) and Germany (Wendelstein) look more promising already. Voigtle C btw doesn't have a bad ROI compared to...
  5. H

Indeed! ASML developed the physically/ mechanically almost impossible litho EUV for <€2B R&D a year, and for >€10B / yr Intel didn't seem to be able to just _use_ it in that timeframe. Just listened to an hour long podcast with Martijn van den Brink...
  6. H

So the names of ITER (between €20B-€65B) or Hinkley C (>£33B and growing) don't ring a bell? ;) The LHC in comparison was cheap, 'only' €5B.
  7. H

Apple Must Go Into Medical

Any company which will be a platform for health data will attempt a vendor lock in. Why are office suites like LibreOffice and Google Docs cheap these days? Because Microsoft was forced to open up their proprietary file formats. To make something cheap, open standards need to exist which make...
  8. H

You didn't read the Harvard magazine article I linked to, did you? I don't live in the US, the statement of Arthur Hanso I reacted to was that Apple will make healthcare cheaper. The Harvard article says 3 things are needed: -Standardisation, -Less corporate greed -Less 'expensive technogy...
  9. H

It's a terrible idea, as Apple stands for everything which _caused_ the problems when it comes to the high cost of healthcare. https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2020/05/feature-forum-costliest-health-care An Harvard article cites 3 solutions: -Standardisation. Apple really is the most...
  10. H

Apple, TSM, Nvidia to dominate AI/ML

Current developments are about circumventing CUDA to break Nvidia's vendor lockin (Pytorch 2), and using Facebook 's LLama models and derivatives to circumvent Microsoft's (sponsored) ChatGPT proprietary model / weights. There are Llama algorithms which are open source, 8x less parameters so...
  11. H

Apple, TSM, Nvidia to dominate AI/ML

Apple is not an AI company, and I fail to see how this device changes it. Only someone who wants to pump the stock would relate those things. Apple needs developers, presenting this device while apps are not ready has Steve Ballmer written all over it. Also, the line about Apple doesn't have...
  12. H

Gemini Battery, The Ultimate Disruptor, 700 Mile Battery

Indeed, these are some of the other points I mentioned. If the heaviest and most expensive part of an EV car is the battery pack, you are not going to solve it by instead putting two battery packs in a car. The question is also how many people actually need 1200 kilometer range, and want to pay...
  13. H

Gemini Battery, The Ultimate Disruptor, 700 Mile Battery

Each month has an article like this. Each month has a company or university with a breakthrough. There are several aspects to all new battery technologies, including but not limited to: -Range / energy density -Cost; yield (Usually as % OEE), -Mass manufacturability -Tool availability (many...
  14. H

China Must Seize TSMC

Probably my thoughts are not worth that much, but anyway: To me it shows the Chinese government is afraid of sanctions. It seems sanctions don't work that well against Russia (other discussion). But clearly the TSMC EUV ban on their Chinese clients as set forth by the Trump administration, are...
  15. H

Intel CCG (PC) op margin down 7%. Server op margin down 10%!!!

For CCG, It's at page 22, see below. Costs are ramping up 4nm (EUV I guess??), ramping down 14nm I'm not sure what it means, maybe if you have less 14nm you have less scale advantage. "850M of Increased investment in leadership products" --> I'm not sure what that means, but if I understood...
  16. H

Intel planning to build massive new semiconductor factory in Ohio

Companies and departments use the language which is most convenient to them. In my (big) organization, it even changes between departments. But it mean the smaller ASML suppliers internally will do everything in Dutch. For them, it's hard(er) to hire foreigners. In bigger companies, 22 Dutch...
  17. H

Not entirely sure, but in the last few years; you will always see in the "Profit walk", the reasons why revenue went up or down. And it always has been saying, less income because of more 10nm. That is, the less 14nm; the less the income, the less the margin.
  18. H

Almost: Starting 3 days after earnings, you will see on the internet lots of shills talking up INTC SP; and that shill content "the Street" does buy! The share price always goes up 3 days after earnings until the evening before next earnings, indeed driven by rosy Intel PR, but also shills...
  19. H

Check "Supplemental Platform Revenue Information" of quarterly results: https://www.intc.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/1522/intel-reports-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-2021-financial?linkId=100000107027324 : When comparing 2021 to 2020, desktop ASP went up, notebook / datacenter ASP...
  20. H

The Real Reason Behind the Automotive Industry IC Shortage — A Step-Function Surge in Demand!

The numbers from IC Insights (millions of chip units delivered to automotive) can be divided by the number of cars sold, to reach a "chips per car" number. For 2021 it will probably be off, because of the "filling of the stock channel". But from 2011 to 2019, it went from 250 to nearly 500; and...
Back