Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?search/239105/&t=thread&c[content]=thread&c[users]=prime007&o=date
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. P

Intel puts 1 nm on roadmap for 2027

Exciting news from Intel! Intel puts 1 nm on roadmap for 2027 Intel's previously-unannounced Intel 10A (analogous to 1nm) will enter production/development in late 2027, marking the arrival of the company's first 1nm node, and its 14A (1.4nm) node will enter production in 2026. The company is...
  2. P

Rumors swirl that TSMC chairman Mark Liu was forced to retire over Arizona fab debacle

Posting for the first time in a long time since many users of SemiWiki are so smart and insightful with their posts/opinions...it's hard for a non-semi professional to add something of value. 😅 I'm personally a fairly skeptical about this rumor but I didn't see it mentioned here but thought it...
  3. P

Intel struggles to escape mudhole

Seems like Intel Foundry is hitting a few bumps on the road. Qualcomm and Tesla have backed away at least temporary: “We didn’t get into this mud hole because everything was going great,” said Gelsinger, who took over as CEO in 2021. “We had some serious issues in terms of leadership, people...
  4. P

Samsung Electronics to invest $228 billion in five new factories by 2042

I'm a bit shocked at the price tag...but the Korean resolve/desire to obtain leadership in critical technologies (display, semiconductor, batteries) is impressive...
  5. P

Semiconductor Dependency Imperils American Security

Eric Schmidt (ex-CEO of Google) and Graham Allison (Harvard professor of government) wrote a commentary in the WSJ arguing that American national security is at risk if it is completely dependent on Taiwan for advanced semiconductors. You can read their arguments in the link below...
  6. P

TSMC says it will have advanced ASML chipmaking tool in 2024

TSMC executives stated on Thursday that they will have ASML's "high-NA EUV" chipmaking tool in 2024. Source: https://www.reuters.com/technology/tsmc-says-it-will-have-advanced-asml-chipmaking-tool-2024-2022-06-16/
  7. P

TSMC commits to nanosheets at 2nm

EE Times reports that TSMC has now publicly confirmed that they will be using nanosheets at 2nm starting in 2025. They also gave a quick preview of TSMC roadmap for the next few years as well as provide some color on the competitive foundry market. Source...
  8. P

TSMC 4nm vs Samsung 4nm

The tech press covered Qualcomm's "Snapdragon Night" which introduced the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1. What maybe interesting to us is that we can (kinda) compare TSMC 4nm vs Samsung Foundry 4nm process using the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chip. This hasn't happened since the Apple A9 processor back in 2019...
  9. P

TSMC is considering to build a fab in Singapore

TSMC is considering to build a fab in Singapore. I'm actually a bit surprised at the location. I would've thought TSMC's next fab location would be in Germany (for political/economic considerations)...
  10. P

Japan, US to deepen cooperation in cutting-edge chips

Nikkei Asia is reporting that the US and Japan are close to agreeing on cooperation in producing chips more advanced than 2nm. They are expected to announce the chip cooperation when Japan's Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Koichi Hagiuda visits to meet Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo...
  11. P

SK Hynix trying to revive its foundry business

SK Hynix recently indicated that they may get together with strategic partners and try to purchase ARM. "We are reviewing possibly forming a consortium, together with strategic partners, to jointly acquire ," said Park Jung-ho, vice chairman and CEO of SK hynix, reports Yonhap news agency. " I...
  12. P

TSMC is in preliminary talks to build fab in Germany

According to Bloomberg, TSMC has started preliminary talks on building a fab in Germany. https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4372908
  13. P

JP Morgan research gives Overweight rating to TSMC

Normally, I don't see wccftech as a reliable source of information. However, I think this article they posted is an exception (especially those of us who have investments in TSMC). Written by JPM analyst Gokul Hariharan, the Twitter-linked report has several interesting pieces of information...
  14. P

TSMC Begins Pilot Production of 3nm Chips

If you were wondering why TSMC's stock price jumped up initially this morning in Taiwan (but down in the US stock market because of the Apple news)...I believe I have your answer https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-begins-pilot-production-of-3nm-chips
  15. P

Samsung to Choose Taylor, Texas, for $17 Billion Chip-Making Factory

It looks like Samsung will be building a $17 billion fab. This is part of Samsung's plan to invest more than $205 billion over the next 3 years with chip-making a priority...
  16. P

TSMC to double its capacity expansion

Taipei Times recently published an article that summaries the action(s) we're seeing from TSMC. The pure-play foundry plans to "roughly double its capacity expansion over the next 3 years to cope with rapidly growing demand for chips in HPC and electronic devices. Key points: 1. TSMC expects...
  17. P

India in talks with TSMC on mega multibillion dollar investment plan

India might just get a TSMC fab! https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4332683 I do wonder why TSMC would agree to build a fab if a chip glut is coming soon... especially since they previously rejected building one there. My guess (and hope as a TSM stockholder) is that the terms are going to...
  18. P

TSMC Details The Benefits of Its N3 Node

This EE Times article ties together various sources of information regarding TSMC's N3 Node. Quick summary: Speed improvement is at the low-end of TSMC's projections (11%), Logic density misses TSMC's projection (1.6x vs projected 1.7x) and power draw improvement is 27% going from N5 to N3...
  19. P

Intel pressures the U.S. government to help subsidize chip manufacturing

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger is putting the pressure on the U.S. government to help subsidize chip manufacturing, insisting the current reliance on plants in Taiwan and Korea as "geopolitically unstable." https://news.yahoo.com/intel-pressures-u-government-help-000630446.html Full disclosure: I'm a...
  20. P

TSMC refuses to comment on rumor Denso involved in Sony partnership

Japanese media reports that Denso (an automotive component manufacturer) will be joining TSMC's join venture with Sony on setting up a wafer manufacturing plant in Japan (via Nikkan Kogyo Simbun). The news outlet reports that Sony and Denso will jointly invest in the venture and that TSMC will...
Back