You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Search results

1. H

Ang Lee's new film "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk"

This new film was shot using 3D 4K 120 frames per second technology. Most films today only play at 24 frames per second. It's interesting to know that today there is no any theater in America can play this film in its highest quality format. If it works, it will greatly challenge the thinking...
  2. H

AMD to License X86 Technology to China Chip Venture

AMD to License X86 Technology to China Chip Joint Venture AMD to License Chip Technology to China Chip Venture - WSJ China Calling: AMD Forms Joint Venture for x86 Server SoCs in China I'm wondering if it's in conflict with the cross licensing deal between Intel and AMD. Also, even Intel may...
  3. H

PayPal Deploys ARM Servers in Data Centers

PayPal Deploys ARM Servers in Data Centers | Data Center Knowledge This morning, I turned on a HP Proliant server with two Xeon processors. Right away the lady next office came to make fun at me, she said: Did an airplane just take off? The heat generated form the Intel Xeon processors...
  4. H

TSMC Announced First Quarter 2015 Revenue

The result announced yesterday is very good. TSMC achieved a YoY revenue growth almost 50% while maintaining a 38.5%-40.5% (forecast) operating margin. This is really a sharp contrast to Intel's almost flat first quarter YoY growth. Intel revised 1Q2015 revenue forecast is from US$12.5 billion...
  5. H

New aluminium-ion battery from Stanford

This type of battery can speed up IoT adoption, make electric cars more affordable, and offer a cost efficient way to store large amount of power during off-peak hours. The potential is unlimited. I'm wondering how soon this can be commercialized? New aluminium-ion battery from Stanford...
  6. H

What would you do if you are the CEO of Intel?

Intel is facing serious challenges in the recent years such as: · Staggering revenue · Diminishing PC/Laptops market · No strong mobile processor product offering · Losing huge amount of money from mobile product line. · Escalating costs of leading edge...
  7. H

NXP Semiconductors is buying Freescale

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/business/chip-makers-will-merge-in-deal-worth-11-8-billion.html?_r=0 "Together, NXP, which has its headquarters in the Netherlands, and Freescale, which is based in Austin, Tex., reported $10.6 billion in sales last year." and NXP and Freescale Announce $40...
  8. H

TSMC Will Have The Lion’s Share Of Apple’s A9 Pie: Citi Analysis

It's like watching TV series that every week has some new twist. TSMC Will Have The Lion "We believe that 14nm strategic collaboration between SEC and Globalfoundry (GF) is way too early to play out in 2015. The technology transfer across the companies and the product qualification period...
  9. H

TSMC (TSM) January sales hit new high

TSMC's January revenue is not only the highest in the single month history but also challenges the seaonal slowdown tradition. TSMC January sales hit new high | Economics | FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS "In January, TSMC posted NT$87.12 billion (US$2.77 billion) in consolidated sales, up...
  10. H

Snapdragon 810 overheating issue (or not an issue!)

I just read an UDN.COM report saying HTC will introduce their new HTC One M9 (Hima) at Mobile World Congress (MWC), March 2~5 in Barcelona. An interesting thing in that report is that this new phone will come with Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 and the alleged overheat problem has been resolved. It...
  11. H

GF Delays 14nm?

Some new development of the GF's 14nm: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2014/12/26/tech-today-amazon-mobile-commerce-surges-short-interest-moves-apple-chip-jockeying/ "Longtime semiconductor equipment observer Robert Maire of Semiwatch this morning warns that tool makers could be hurt...
  12. H

Taiwan news media claimed Apple has decided to use TSMC to produce at least 80% of A9

In the past several days I have read some interesting news articles from Taiwan and most of them are written in Chinese. Some of them have presented detail information. I must admit these reports might be based on rumors and I don't have a way to verify them. So please don't harsh on me or even...
  13. H

Intel Contra Revenue

There are many ways to measure a company’s capability, market, and financial strength. So I decided to compare the profitability situation between Intel and TSMC. I always though Intel commands a huge profit margin compare to rest of the industry due to their dominant position in x86 processors...
  14. H

Intel Contra Revenue

It's amazing!! TigerDirect is selling an ASUS 7" Android Tablet for only $29.99. Intel is really working hard to send processors and dollar bills out of door. ASUS 7 4.3 JellyBean Tablet w/ McAfee Multi-Access at TigerDirect.com The interesting thing is that Intel is using McAfee (a wholly...