You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Search results

1. Daniel Nenni

Can We Believe The Hype About China’s Domestic IC Production Plans?

I certainly hope so. More sources means lower prices for all. I am more concerned about NAND though. Samsung dominates NAND and that is not optimal.
  2. Daniel Nenni

U.S. Companies Dominate Worldwide IC Marketshare

Given the population unbalance China and India should be chip sales leaders: China 1,367,485,388 India 1,251,695,584 United States 321,368,864 Indonesia 255,993,674 Brazil 204,259,812 Pakistan 199,085,847 Nigeria 181,562,056 Bangladesh 168,957,745 Russia 142,423,773 Japan 126,919,659
  3. Daniel Nenni

It is a bit misleading since it looks like they are counting HQs versus where the work is actually done. Here is the SemiWiki traffic distribution which is probably closer to the truth in regards to chip design. Except China because we are blocked from search there: 1. United States 41% 2...
  4. Daniel Nenni

China and Taiwan companies register double-digit shares in the fabless segment but very low shares of the IDM IC segment. IC Insights will release its 200+ page Mid-Year Update to the 2019 McClean Report next month. A portion of the Mid-Year Update will examine the trends for worldwide IC...
  5. Daniel Nenni

Is Intel 10nm really denser than TSMC 7nm?

Interesting. Do the slides have a date? Was it before 6nm was officially announced (May 2019) ? TSMC 7+ is obsolete now that TSMC 6nm is in play. I'm not sure why AMD would put the effort into 7+ for a small density increase when they can do 5nm or easily migrate 7nm designs to 6nm. I also met...
  6. Daniel Nenni

From what I remember SMIC had a partnership with QCOM and imec for 14nm many years ago but are just now ramping up 14nm. Do you know if the partnership bore fruit or did it die an unnatural death?
  7. Daniel Nenni

Do you have a reference for Zen 3 being 7+? I had not heard that but I did not ask specifically. I was with AMD two weeks ago and we only talked about 7nm.
  8. Daniel Nenni

TSMC 7+ is an orphan due to 6nm. Moving a 7nm design to 7+ is not feasible when it can be moved to 6nm much easier and get better PPA (+18% denisty). Tom Dillinger wrote it up last month: https://semiwiki.com/semiconductor-manufacturers/tsmc/8149-2019-tsmc-technology-symposium-review-part-i/
  9. Daniel Nenni

Scott Jones and I will be at SEMICON West next week and will meet with Intel. The goal is to get Intel 10nm on the 7nm TSMC Samsung comparison, at their request. The previous numbers say yes Intel 10nm is denser than Samsung and TSMC 7nm but that may have changed. The question I have is: Where...
  10. Daniel Nenni

ARM Suspends Business With Huawei Just As EE Removes Huawei Phones From 5G launch

China will cave in, they have no other choice for leading edge chip design, my opinion: https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/business/trade-war-trump-china-walmart-target-costco/index.html
  11. Daniel Nenni

Rest of the semiconductor world: Korea, Taiwan, etc... remember, I said leading edge. China is trailing edge. Unless of course China invades Taiwan.
  12. Daniel Nenni

FYI: https://www.wsj.com/articles/broadcom-lowers-revenue-outlook-amid-trade-tensions-11560459528?mod=article_inline
  13. Daniel Nenni

Interesting notes from the Intel Q2 2018 Call

Indeed. I did not see the GF announcement coming at all. Intel 10nm is still a mystery but the new Intel CEO sure is shaking things up internally. Expect a much leaner and more focused Intel next year, absolutely.
  14. Daniel Nenni

I have been working with China companies for more than 20 years, SMIC included. When they first came about I thought for sure they would give UMC and TSMC a competitive run for their CAPEX. Out of the gate they ripped off TSMC .13 and got busted for it big time. For FinFETS I remember...
  15. Daniel Nenni

Another data point: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/14/over-600-us-companies-urge-trump-to-resolve-trade-dispute-with-china-letter.html
  16. Daniel Nenni

Tariffs and trade issues are forcing China to scale its domestic IC production plans, but do its claims line up with reality? IC Insights believes they do not. In the wake of tariffs and trade tension between China and the United States, government officials and company representatives...
  17. Daniel Nenni

2019 Mary Meeker Internet Trends

Here are my two favorite takeaways thus far. Americans are spending more time with digital media than ever: 6.3 hours a day in 2018, up 7 percent from the year before. Most of that growth is coming from mobile and other connected devices, while time spent on computers declines. People are also...
  18. Daniel Nenni

Samsung bags QCOM chip orders ahead of TSMC?

This article is from someone who knows very little about semiconductors but speaks with authority just the same. To be fair he does not know better and someone played him for a fool but he gets clicks and that is the current state of semiconductor media: Seasoned tech content writer at...
  19. Daniel Nenni

NXP to buy Marvell's WiFi, Bluetooth business for $1.76 billion

We call that rearranging the deck chairs. The ASIC business is ultra competitive, I really don't see the synergy here.