[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. K

Crowdstrike Problems this morning, Will this continue

I agree - I can’t tell you the number of times I have had PC disasters with “legacy” .SYS file issues. Eventually gave up for Macs and Linux. From what I see out on the forums, this was a Windows legacy disaster waiting to happen. “1. Poorly written code in the kernel module crashed the whole...
  2. K

Can China get to 3nm?

But what if that's far from the best allocation of their resources - another Soviet Space Program ? "Ultimately, by boosting supply more than demand, China is generating growth today but at the cost of growth tomorrow, said Louise Loo, lead economist for China at Oxford Economics. “Whatever you...
  3. K

Can China get to 3nm?

They can likely get there using their command economy, but a command economy is a tricky thing to operate. The USSR was able to drive sophisticated space technology and a highly competitive space program using their command economy, yet was unable to deliver consumer goods to its own people...
  4. K

Crowdstrike Problems this morning, Will this continue

@Arthur Hanson , this was cybersecurity gone bad, a bad cross between a CrowdStrike update defect and Windows. I’ve always had problems Windows fragility due to it’s long term binary compatibility roots and vulnerable configuration files. The Linux and Mac world was unaffected, unless it...
  5. K

Trump Suggests Taiwan Should Pay US for Protection

No, no need for cynicism. One merely has to look at the data by country Over time. Only two countries, Lithuania and Latvia made substantial lifts toward the 2% number during Trump‘s first campaign and time in office possibly as a result of his rhetoric. There were greater increases in defense...
  6. K

And rank amateur negotiating, at that, that delivered virtually nothing in the previous presidency.
  7. K

According to Trump, Taiwan “doesn’t give us anything”. Maybe if they were a good locale for luxury-branded real estate and golf resorts he would value Taiwan more.
  8. K

The AI/ML Tidal wave is in its early stages, Danger and Opportunity

There were indeed crashes of Sun and Cisco, as well as other internet-related hardware companies with the dotcom bust. And many of the original software / cloud stars of the dotcom era either faded into irrelevance (Yahoo) or died over-capitalized deaths (remember Netscape or Webvan, anyone)...
  9. K

ETCHED AI

There have been numerous claims from new and innovative AI chip/system companies over the past 4-5 years. The real question nowadays is whether they can build commercial traction, which really means delivering complete chips, systems and software for training models and/or for complete...
  10. K

Huawei exec rejects idea that advanced chip shortage will hamper China's AI ambitions

I'm wondering how many of those patents are on the back of CUDA infrastructure and NVIDIA hardware. As us hardware guys say about software, "It's gotta run on something !". And each hardware platform is quite different.
  11. K

Huawei exec rejects idea that advanced chip shortage will hamper China's AI ambitions

Read again - I’m not implying that at all. I’m pointing out that successful products and commercialization do not correlate or rely on patents and that number of patents, Chinese or US (IBM) are a poor indicator of how well companies / countries are going to do with a new technology.
  12. K

Quantity of patents don’t matter when it comes to quality and value of commercial products. IBM is an excellent example of why the quantity of Gen AI patents is meaningless when it comes to successful commercialization
  13. K

There are some indicators that that might be the case. The highest end variant boasts fewer cores than the original 910, though the 910B cores include an extra vector unit. Interesting analysis here...
  14. K

I’m not sure patent counts or paper counts mean much when it comes to actually delivering value. IBM is leading the US in Gen AI patents, but nowhere close in value or deliver. https://www.axios.com/2024/02/05/patent-applications-generative-ai-ibm-list And there seems to be a horde of...
  15. K

2023 Semiconductor Revenue Breakdown

Your 17.42 is close to the 18.5 from this chart (545*3.4%). Thanks for the extra data point !
  16. K

2023 Semiconductor Revenue Breakdown

Themselves - they're just a big enough captive user of their own chips to show up in the top 20. I think Apple is usually measured by their chip BOM cost, not a fully-imputed retail cost, so their percentage would be higher if it reflected the retail markup. Two others, Samsung and now NVIDIA...
  17. K

Some Chinese buyers seem to be resorting to desperate measures to get Nvidia's most advanced chips

Maybe due to Ascend 910B not looking so good. The most details I have seen so far: Huawei Faces Production Challenges with 20% Yield Rate for AI Chip According to a report from ChosunBiz, the chip is being manufactured by China’s leading semiconductor foundry, SMIC, and has been in mass...
  18. K

Retro analog dial-up modem question

And yet there's a stubborn minority of people who continue to demand POTs service for safety reasons - mainly that the exchanges provide both connectivity and DC POWER to the handsets, so the phones work in a power outage. I know that in our neighborhood, AT&T wants to clear the POTS copper runs...
  19. K

Retro analog dial-up modem question

DSL uses the same copper POTs twisted pair. I think that can do 100 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. The main limit as I remember it is the typical distance to the DSLAM (the line card that muxes it into something faster. DSLAMs were typically located in exchanges so 1-2km of copper sets the top end...
  20. K

Huawei says its AI chip better than Nvidia's A100 amid China's self-reliance drive

I think you're jumping to false conclusions. Most reporting, tends to blur the difference between Huawei and SMIC, even though SMIC does the fabbing. Here's second-hand content from the Information article ("the report"). It does highlight SMIC as well. Seems pretty legitimate based on the...
Back