[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021270
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. Daniel Nenni

What were the historical drivers of Foundry node investments for TSMC?

There are slides on this. When I joined the industry in the early 1980s it was computers. Mainframes then minicomputers (IBM, HP, DEC, Prime, DG, etc...) Most computer companies had their own fabs and made their own chips. Then came the IDMs Intel/Motorola and the desktop PC revolution started...
  2. Daniel Nenni

What were the historical drivers of Foundry node investments for TSMC?

Altera was a very close TSMC partner from the very beginning of both companies. I worked with Altera a bit way back when. TSMC used Altera for process development and pipe cleaning until of course Xilinx came to TSMC at 28nm. TSMC treated Altera and Xilinx equally and Xilinx wiped the floor with...
  3. Daniel Nenni

Testing the bounds of loyalty for TSMC's inner circle

Agreed, TSMC and Samsung having US based fabs is key. Same thing with packaging, test and everything else a wafer succumbs to before being a system ready chip? What about at the system level? Can Apple go from design to finished product in the US or any other country? Is it going to get up to...
  4. Daniel Nenni

What are TSM's Plans for lower end chips?

Yes, I mixed that up, thanks. Here is more information on HKMG from imec.
  5. Daniel Nenni

UMC Reports Sales for January 2023

UMC Reports Sales for January 2023 February 06, 2023 01:00 AM Eastern Standard Time TAIPEI, Taiwan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--United Microelectronics Corporation (NYSE: UMC; TWSE: 2303) (“UMC”), today reported unaudited net sales for the month of January 2023. (*) All figures in thousands of New Taiwan...
  6. Daniel Nenni

Three TSMC Weaknesses (balancing its many strengths)

Apple controls the silicon so the software can be custom fitted, and visa versa. It really is a big win when you control both the software and the silicon.
  7. Daniel Nenni

It was hotly debated inside TSMC and Morris (engineer at heart) won. And yes Intel jammed this naming convention down TSMC's throat in presentations and such. Remember when Intel said the pureplay business was dead and they could not go where an IDM can go? I guess TSMC was in their rearview...
  8. Daniel Nenni

The origins of TSMC are rarely reported correctly. Morris Chang was not a one man army, there were others that made this possible. And it was not just the Taiwanese government, TSMC would not have happened without the Phillips investment/partnership. One of Morris Chang's strengths was...
  9. Daniel Nenni

Or FinFETs yet they own the market.
  10. Daniel Nenni

First of all TSMC would never do that, it is 100% against company culture. Second Morris would never do that, he speaks for himself. The man is 91 Years old. That is 637 in dog years.
  11. Daniel Nenni

With the advent of chiplets I think using multiple fabs for chip design is again an option. Remember, back in the day QCOM could and did use multiple fabs for the same design to get the best cost and/or best delivery. Today Intel is using TSMC for chiplets intermixed with Intel chiplets. Nvidia...
  12. Daniel Nenni

It sounds to me that the automotive supply chain is still in disruption and end customers are still moving to "Just in Case" inventory versus "Just in Time". The next thing you will hear, as we did with TSMC, is that customer inventories are at a record high then comes the drop as customers burn...
  13. Daniel Nenni

That was Morris Chang's TSMC. Today's TSMC is different. TSMC never forgets. Apple is the same. For anyone to think Apple will go back to Intel that is just nuts. Semiconductor people can forgive but semiconductor people do not forget.
  14. Daniel Nenni

Morris Chang and Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang are VERY good friends, this is well known, I have seen them together at different events. In fact, the success of Nvidia and TSMC were closely tied together for a very long time. Nvidia's competitor was also a TSMC customer and TSMC treated them as...
  15. Daniel Nenni

TSMC was always the first foundry to a node so they got a wafer premium. At 28nm the other foundries botched it and didn't yield so TSMC had a monopoly for a brief period. This was the gate-first gate-last HKMG controversy. TSMC followed Intel with gate-first while the others (IBM, UMC, Samsung...
  16. Daniel Nenni

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) Q4 2022 Earnings Call Transcript

Agreed, but now that Intel and AMD are using comparable processes, and possibly the same process, it is all about design. That may change at 18A / N2 but until then design wins and AMD is back in the game.
  17. Daniel Nenni

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) Q4 2022 Earnings Call Transcript

It is interesting to compare and contrast it with the Intel call. Nvidia is next. AMD was in a similar position as Samsung and Intel Foundries against TSMC. AMD for the longest time depended on the NOT Intel business. Customers that wanted to keep the Intel monopoly in check by having a viable...
  18. Daniel Nenni

Intel earnings announcement - gloomy 2023

Scott Jones is the expert on that: https://semiwiki.com/category/semiconductor-services/ic-knowledge/
  19. Daniel Nenni

Intel earnings announcement - gloomy 2023

QCOM helped develop the 18A PDK so yes they had the confidence to tape out at release .5, which is not alpha.
  20. Daniel Nenni

It will be interesting to see what the other automotive chip suppliers have to say. These companies are competing so there is overlap with customers. I did not read that NXP will lose revenue in 2023 due to foundry wafer shortages nor have I read yet that car companies will not be able to sell...