[XF] => 2021270
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. L

Intel earnings announcement - gloomy 2023

A lot of sceptical people here (including myself). I think it'd be interesting to do a poll, "Who will have the process lead in 2025?"
  2. L

Dutch export rules on China in focus ahead of ASML results

It probably doesn't make any difference if ASML are prevented from selling DUV machines, or not. The other equipment (plasma etch, film deposition, etc.) needed for wafer fabrication is already on the export ban list. A DUV machine is useless if they can't get the other stuff.
  3. L

Korea Economic Daily: Samsung 1st gen 3nm yield reaches "perfect level"

There are reports of Samsung lying about yields: https://www.infostockdaily.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=167041 (google translate)
  4. L

Lisa Su announces AI Ryzen Chips, Game Changer?

RDNA 3 has 4 AI matrix units built into each CU.
  5. L

Intel May Cancel Meteor Lake Desktop CPUs in Favor of Raptor Lake Refresh

Also Intel 4 is a half-node and missing the ultra-high performance cells needed for a desktop product
  6. L

Huawei confirms breakthrough in EUV lithography process optimization

Recently, Huawei claimed to make a breakthrough in EUV light source design and filed a patent. Obviously, they have a long way to go, but could they eventually pull it off and break ASML's monopoly in EUV?
  7. L

Nodelets/halfnodes take to their zenith: A new process development model

The Intel 4 node will be barely used. The only products are one chiplet of Meteor Lake laptop (U series) and Granite Rapids. I suspect Meteor Lake desktop will be on Intel 3. Even Granite Rapids will be quickly moved to Intel 3. Presumably, the initial Granite Rapids product will only have the...
  8. L

Nodelets/halfnodes take to their zenith: A new process development model

If Intel 3 really includes everything (I/0, high density, high performance, ultra high performance cells), then they could manufacture their entire product range using their own labs without depending on TSMC
  9. L

Intel Says It’s on Course to Regain Chip Production Leadership

The U-series would suffer with the chiplet architecture, because it uses more power. This is the reason that AMD don't use chiplets for their mobile processors (up til now neither did Intel) I've heard 20A is not a complete node (which is probably why Arrow lake is using TSMC N3 chiplets)
  10. L

Intel Says It’s on Course to Regain Chip Production Leadership

I was just reading an interesting article at angstronomics. They say: "Intel 4 is also an incomplete node, only offering a single 3-fin library and a minimal I/O library for chiplet-only interconnect to accelerate Time-To-Market (TTM). (https://www.angstronomics.com/p/the-truth-of-tsmc-5nm)"...
  11. L

FAKE NEWS: TSMC's 3nm foundry price breaks through $20,000, iPhone 15, GPU price increase

How would they know the price of the wafers? I thought that info was a trade secret
  12. L

How Intel plans to rival TSMC and Samsung as a chip supplier

Well, I already made the financial argument, so you can believe what you want. Just let me remind you this is actually the third time that Intel tried to start a foundry business. The previous time LG was one of the initial customers for their 10nm process and they got burned badly. Their...
  13. L

when a new node ramps up the capacity is always constrained, so Intel don't even have enough capacity for their own products, let alone external customers. You can't just say "chiplets" and wave your hands. Only servers are currently using chiplets but they still are big enough (400mm2) Plus...
  14. L

Not really. IFS is business, but just for older nodes. For leading edge maybe they give a very small capacity to external customer, but it won't be until after the initial ramp up
  15. L

Intel is not the same as TSMC or Samsung, because they compete with their own customers for foundry services. They will never give external customers access to any new leading edge node, because they require 100% of that node for their own products. Foundry is only 1% of Intel's business, they...
  16. L

Intel delays Sapphire Rapids due to low yields?

It could be true. The die size is twice as big as Alder lake (400mm versus 215mm) and the bigger the die the lower the yield.
  17. L

For which nodes does Intel foundry service apply?

Maybe I didn't explain well. A new node has limited capacity as it ramps up. Usually, Intel does not even have enough capacity for their own products on the new node. If they let an external customer use it then there's even less available and that's going to delay role out of Intel's products.
  18. L

If Intel allowed a big customer use their leading node ahead of their own products it would delay Intel's product and they would lose competitive advantage against AMD. I would highly doubt Intel would do that.
  19. L

Thanks for the answer. For advance nodes I assume Intel's own products would have priority over external customers.
  20. L

Mediatek is using 14nm, so presumable it's only for old nodes?