[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2020771
            [XFI] => 1050170
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. H

210 Billion Lost, Semis Massive Leverage, TSM a Trillion-dollar Market Cap?

My company supplies a special metal part (which nobody else can make), and the the most "stupid" things are missing to fabricate just that 1 part. Now, if a ship is stuck at Suez, and a few tonnes of metal is stuck over there, people understand you can't produce metal parts without metal. But...
  2. H

210 Billion Lost, Semis Massive Leverage, TSM a Trillion-dollar Market Cap?

Companies have different suppliers, clients have different priorities at their suppliers, and VUCA messes with planning on a weekley basis. It used to be a monthly planning or so, but now it changes each three days. ...are not the companies with stringent release procedures. For them, it's...
  3. H

Intel's Weak 2021 Sales Expectations

From the stuff I read, Intel mainly was incompetent at delivering integrated SoCs where Samsung and Qualcomm succeeded. Back at the time, you had Intel Core CPU for desktop, barely able to decode h.264. At the same time, smartphones had video accelerators in the SoC, so the smartphone could...
  4. H

Intel's Weak 2021 Sales Expectations

Also, I think Intel took too much risk with the hyperscale-strategy (basically 10nm Cannon Lake). Management took far too much risk; thinking they can pull of 4 (or so) simultaneous new technologies. It included too many changes at once which all had to go right, like jumping through 13...
  5. H

Intel has announced its first major customer for its new Intel Foundry Services business: Qualcomm

Stuff not said is as important as stuff said, so does that mean QCOM is not using Intel 7, 5 & 4?
  6. H

Gelsinger Can't Win, Ecosystems Must be Built, Morris Chang

When discussing the "most important company" in the world, I think the '20-pandemic clearly taught us that "toilet paper factories" win hands down!
  7. H

Intel is in Talks to Buy GlobalFoundries

What about INTC buying part of GloFo or the stock; or part of GloFo forming a JV with part of Intel? Intel / Samsung / TSMC also bought a few billion ASML I recall. Intel also recently was in a JV with Micron. If I remember correctly, Mobileye used FD-SOI until a few years ago; and FD-SOI had...
  8. H

TSMC may set up wafer fabs in Germany and Japan

Just as I said, it has been confirmed: TSMC goes where the clients are. Much more important than island chains, missiles and such. Arizona --> Apple Japan --> Sony (Possible) Germany --> Car industry...
  9. H

This makes no sense at all. Germany's strength is people are willing to work in manufacturing, just like Taiwan. The whole Western world relies on cheap immigrant-labor, that's not special at all. Second, it's the client who wants to decide on the location of the factory. Just because Taiwan...
  10. H

Intel is in Talks to Buy GlobalFoundries

Some questions I have: What about process knowledge? Would there be anything in cancelled GloFo 7nm project which Intel can use to improve 10nm? Would there be any IBM Reaserch which GloFo incorporated when IBM Fabs became part of GloFo, which Intel can use? Also capacity: Is Intel 10nm...
  11. H

Not at all; it would make zero sense: TSMC wants to expand to growth markets; be less dependent on the core market (smartphones). Automotive is a growth market for TSMC. The clients for automotive are mainly in Japan, Germany and China; with US possibly already served by AZ. You want to...
  12. H

Are Korean EUV Patents a Threat to ASML and TSMC?

That's an old case which was already settle 2,5 years ago. https://www.asml.com/en/news/press-releases/2019/nikon-asml-and-carl-zeiss-sign-agreement-to-settle-all-litigation
  13. H

Why Toyota had a big pile of chips when semiconductor shortage dealt others a bad hand

To put it bluntly: Safety stock level at some companies is managed by accountants - who don't look much further than their nose is long. SAP; I heard it means "System Against People". Well, sometimes this is suiting. Accountants take into consideration the cost of the stock items, the lot...
  14. H

TSMC founder doubts US competence in chip-making

To anyone interested in the topic, who didn't see the documentary "American Factory" yet: Watch it, it's really worth your time! Also about semiconductors by the way, ahum; but a different kind than discussed on Semiwiki. https://www.netflix.com/nl-en/title/81090071 Apart from the labour...
  15. H

The Intel (INTC) CEO Pat Gelsinger on Q1 2021 Results Discussion

Wow, that's interesting. Because then in my limited understanding; it would mean US government is helping to keep the buybacks and dividends of billions per year floating, because Intel "on their own merits" can't? When was Intel actually labeled "too big too fail", to the point where someone...
  16. H

Seriously, I wonder about those 'investments', how on earth are they going to pay for it? As someone who studied the stock movements last few earnings releases; I happened to notice the investment-crowd IMNSHO is focusing on the wrong metrics. DCG Revenue, buyback-engineered EPS: Yawn. Those...
  17. H

For Intel, chips which go into automotive vehicles is IoT. Intel doesn't have IoT the way the rest of the world defines it. IoT usually means, low energy chips of a few cents. Those have ARM, MIPS, Andes, RISC-V cores. No x86. The way I understood it, but I may be wrong; is that Intel...
  18. H

ASML CEO Says Trying to Control Chip Sales to China Won’t Work

Indeed; last time I checked Stuxnet targeted S7 in Natanz. So obviously the US doesn't halt anything Siemens sells.
  19. H

Intel _does_ read Semiwiki!

Exactly. It's the naive herd who care about the labels; and the naive herd is sooner or later influencing and feeding the blogosphere and this also reaches investors. Samsung 5nm is a good example: I think Daniel already mentioned how it's way less advanced than TSMC N5 but Samsung feeds the...
  20. H

Radically Improved Battery, Uses Silicon instead of Graphite

One needs specifics to judge about this. What's the lifetime, cost and temperature range of the new technology? What makes this technology different than the other dozen companies who claim the same? What is the technology readiness level? And as they're not yet bought by a bigger company...