Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-board-of-directors-meeting-resolutions-japan.14935/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC Board of Directors Meeting Resolutions (JAPAN)

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
Issued by: TSMC
Issued on:
2021/11/09
TSMC Board of Directors Meeting Resolutions
Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., - Nov. 9, 2021 – TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) today held a meeting of the Board of Directors, which passed the following resolutions:

1. Approved the distribution of a NT$2.75 per share cash dividend for the third quarter of 2021, and set March 22, 2022 as the record date for common stock shareholders entitled to participate in this cash dividend distribution, and the ex-dividend date for the common shares shall be March 16, 2022. As required by Article 165 of Taiwan’s Company Law, the shareholders’ register shall be closed for five days prior to the record date (March 18 through March 22, 2022) for registration transfer, and the dividend will be paid on April 14, 2022. In addition, the ex-dividend date for TSMC American Depositary Shares (ADSs) will be March 16, 2022. The record date for TSMC ADSs entitled to participate in this cash dividend distribution will be March 17, 2022.

2. Approved capital appropriations of approximately US$9,036.44 million (approximately NT$239,464.84 million) for purposes including: 1) Installation and upgrade of advanced technology capacity; 2) Installation of mature and specialty technology capacity; 3) Installation of advanced packaging capacity; 4) Fab construction, installation of fab facility systems, and capitalized leased assets; 5) First quarter 2022 R&D capital investments and sustaining capital expenditures.

3. Approved an equity investment of no more than US$2,123.40 million to establish a TSMC-majority-owned subsidiary in Japan to provide foundry services.

4. Approved the appointment of Mr. K.C. Hsu as Vice President of Integrated Interconnect & Packaging, effective November 9, 2021.

TSMC Spokesperson​

Wendell Huang
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Tel:886-3-5055901

TSMC Deputy Spokesperson​

Nina Kao
Public Relations Department
Tel:886-3-5636688 Ext.7125036

TSMC to Build Specialty Technology Fab in Japan with Sony Semiconductor Solutions as Minority Shareholder​

Issued by: TSMC and Sony Semiconductor Solutions
Issued on:2021/11/09

TSMC to Build Specialty Technology Fab in Japan with Sony Semiconductor Solutions as Minority Shareholder
Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C., Nov. 9, 2021 - TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) and Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation (“SSS”) today jointly announced that TSMC will establish a subsidiary, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing, Inc. (“JASM”), in Kumamoto, Japan to provide foundry service with initial technology of 22/28-nanometer processes to address strong global market demand for specialty technologies, with SSS participating as a minority shareholder.

Construction of JASM’s fab in Japan is scheduled to begin in the 2022 calendar year with production targeted to begin by the end of 2024. The fab is expected to directly create about 1,500 high-tech professional jobs and to have a monthly production capacity of 45,000 12-inch wafers. The initial capital expenditure is estimated to be approximately US$7 billion with strong support from the Japanese government.

Under definitive agreements reached between TSMC and SSS, SSS plans to make an equity investment in JASM of approximately US$0.5 billion, which will represent a less than 20% equity stake in JASM. The closing of the transaction between TSMC and SSS is subject to customary closing conditions.

“The digital transformation of more and more aspects of human lives is creating incredible opportunities for our customers, and they rely on our specialty processes that bridge digital life and real life,” said Dr. CC Wei, Chief Executive Officer of TSMC. “We are pleased to have the support of a leading player and our long-time customer, Sony, to supply the market with an all-new fab in Japan, and also are excited at the opportunity to bring more Japanese talent into TSMC’s global family.”

“While the global semiconductor shortage is expected to be prolonged, we expect partnership with TSMC to contribute to securing a stable supply of logic wafers, not only for us but also for the overall industry. We believe that further strengthening and deepening our partnership with TSMC, which has the world’s leading semiconductor production technology, is extremely meaningful for the Sony Group,” said Terushi Shimizu, President and CEO of Sony Semiconductor Solutions Corporation.

TSMC’s Japan fab is the latest chapter in its long history of contribution to Japan’s semiconductor ecosystem since establishing its TSMC Japan subsidiary in 1997. More recently, TSMC set up the Japan Design Center in 2019 to serve its global customers and is now working with Japanese partners to expand the frontiers of advanced packaging technology with the 3DIC Research Center in Ibaraki Prefecture.

TSMC Spokesperson​

Wendell Huang
Vice President & Chief Financial Officer
Tel:886-3-5055901

TSMC Deputy Spokesperson​

Nina Kao
Public Relations Department
Tel:886-3-5636688 Ext.7125036

When I was graduating from a Japanese university in 2020, there were no good semi manufacturing jobs in Japan, especially for someone with both fabrication and AI/automation experience (which is where my interests lie). I ended up going to robotics research because it was/is booming. I wonder if a TSMC fab will lead to more such heavily specialized jobs in Japan. I don't believe there is much talent in this space. Companies cannot hire even regular AI engineers let alone AI engineers who understand semi fabrication.

Reactions: VCT
When I was graduating from a Japanese university in 2020, there were no good semi manufacturing jobs in Japan, especially for someone with both fabrication and AI/automation experience (which is where my interests lie). I ended up going to robotics research because it was/is booming. I wonder if a TSMC fab will lead to more such heavily specialized jobs in Japan. I don't believe there is much talent in this space. Companies cannot hire even regular AI engineers let alone AI engineers who understand semi fabrication.

In 2021 Japan is 2% of our readership while Korea is 3.5%, China is 5% and Taiwan is 6.5% if that is any indication of the geographical semiconductor talent pool mix. US is 45% and India is #2 at a whopping 9.5%

Japan is definitely a leader in robotics so good career move there. But without advanced semiconductors robotics would not be booming at all, absolutely.

India is next? Go TSMC!
It's rumored Japanese government will pay half the new fab cost. The new TSMC Japan fab will start with 22/28nm technology instead of any leading edge nodes. It's an indication of TSMC/Sony and Japanese government proceed this project in a more practical and market driven approach.

If India is the next location for TSMC to build a new fab, they will probably adopt the same strategy.

It's rumored Japanese government will pay half the new fab cost. The new TSMC Japan fab will start with 22/28nm technology instead of any leading edge nodes. It's an indication of TSMC/Sony and Japanese government proceed this project in a more practical and market driven approach.

If India is the next location for TSMC to build a new fab, they will probably adopt the same strategy.
This makes sense, many of the chip shortages today are driven by > 28nm nodes

I think part of the reason for chip shortages is that the traditional model is the high performance CPUs are driving the leading edge, and then companies on the trailing edge move up as capacity on what was previously the leading edge frees up. But this stopped at 28nm because design costs for FinFET ballooned and trailing edge companies stopped moving forward creating a bottleneck at 28nm.

Back