[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by Xebec

1. X

Intel is industry’s first mover on High NA EUV lithography system.

This topic probably requires its own thread, but I’ll take a quick stab. Note I’m still ‘jury out’ on this approach. Air gapped networks are still a thing for various purposes; those air gaps definitely struggle for cost effectiveness for total available compute resources. Likewise, if you...
  2. X

Timing for TSMC Wafer Orders

Fwiw Pat Gelsingers predecessor negotiated TSMC N3 wafer allocation, years ago. Pat became CEO Feb 2021.
  3. X

Intel is industry’s first mover on High NA EUV lithography system.

Hats off (again) to the engineers behind all of this tech. Imagine sending this back in time and showing to Gordon Moore in 1965, or Shockley in 1949. On the video I think it’s reasonable as it’s intended for investors and the public. “This technology is a work of art, Intel is first to use...
  4. X

TSMC Q1 2024 Discussion

FWIW - Apple’s iPhone business in 2022/2023 dropped from $66B in revenue to $51B from calendar Q4 to Q1, a drop of roughly 23%. Some prior years have been steeper, though many similar (source: Statista). It looks like TSMC’s revenue drop for N3 is probably just that as (I believe) it’s the...
  5. X

The state of the Foundry market before TSMC reports

This is really awesome information! What’s the Y axis for the Foundry Inventory chart? % of sales or something?
  6. X

Anastasi In Tech: New Transistor Breakthrough Explained: Shrinking beyond 1nm

I think I saw in one of her videos she was hoping to interview that founder of SemiWiki....
  7. X

Intel's latest AI chip is a direct shot at Nvidia's moneymaker

Tell me a little more if you don't mind. I thought they had some layoffs in engineering a year or two ago. Also some pay reductions that may have bled some talent. They are also splitting into two companies and competing in more segments than before. And CPUs are getting more complex (with...
  8. X

Meta: Our next-generation Meta Training and Inference Accelerator

Power is just really another “knob”; they may have decided that they needed the throughput more and were OK with the power budget this time. Voltage going up with a frequency rise of almost 70% seems reasonable.
  9. X

My take on this is they probably looked at their limited engineering pool and decided to use it for getting the next gen product after Falcon Shores out in as good of shape as possible. They’ve made a lot of similar decisions lately - Extending Raptor Lake an extra year because it’s “good...
  10. X

Jensen is shrewd -- he's going to take the best fab deal with the most advanced technology that he can get. He fell out with TSMC but had no problem going back to them when Samsung failed to keep up with his needs.
  11. X

Will Intel Foundry Break-Even Before 2028?

18A is also a trust test node for Intels own products.. (vs TSMC N2). Thats a decent chunk of volume alone for the foundry side.
  12. X

Intel's Foundry Business discloses a $7B operating loss

For 18A, the target segment is HPC (noteably ‘not mobile’). Is it possible that the density estimate vs competition is correct for that segment? High performance libraries for comparison instead of high density?
  13. X

7.4-magnitude earthquake strikes on coast of Taiwan

I hope everyone in Taiwan is doing OK.
  14. X

Which Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake Chiplets Will be Fabbed by Intel?

Apologies - I really had it in my head they showed LNL as 20A but searching around I can’t find proof :(. (I can’t find anything saying it’s exclusively N3 either, but..)
  15. X

Which Arrow Lake and Lunar Lake Chiplets Will be Fabbed by Intel?

Agreed and makes sense — but is that worth the extra time and cost of adding those extra dummy dies over millions of products? That’s where I’m a little skeptical. (It may be worth it to Intel - but just thinking that’s extra packaging steps, more time = less volume, more cost).
Back