[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by TxAggie1995

1. T

TSM 561.00/Share, Logic?

I've been buying a couple shares every paycheck. TSMC's P/E is actually pretty reasonable given the current crazy market (38 for them vs 25 for the NASDAQ as a whole) and there is nowhere for them to go but up as they consolidate their manufacturing lead. Don't know what a fair target price for...
  2. T

Mixing Biologics & Semis, a New Frontier

I did grad research in this area, and it's fascinating. All the technology in electronics has largely been discovered and is being optimized to the teeth. Sure there are interesting frontiers in device shrinkage, but we know how to make an ADC, we know how to make a processor, etc. The name of...
  3. T

Schumer gets semiconductor industry support into defense bill

Ensuring a reliable non-Taiwanese supply of chips is a smart long-term move... handing out $25B to Schumer's constituents in NY seems a little questionable though.
  4. T

2020 was the best year for the industry in decades. What's going on? Wider discussion.

In general, I don't think we'll be seeing less electronics any time soon. I don't think silicon FET shrinkage for computers has much more than a decade left in it (clear skies till 2024, though) and it's growing exponentially more expensive. But with the increasing automation in industrial...
  5. T

How hot is the 180nm node today?

I used to work at a major analog company... half the stuff they were making was still in 180nm The team I worked on there was making high-reliability parts with a customer-allowed fails per million of 0, so it was invaluable to have a large, very predictable node spec'ed out to within an inch...
  6. T

TSM Revolutionizing Ultrasound Chip

Agreed that there are so much more structural issues to the US medical system than a lack of tech. It's a cool and useful device, but it's no silver bullet.
  7. T

Aeva, New take on Lidar and its uses,

Nope, didn't bother with the physics at all. We tried to solve it with VLSI design as you said. We used some VCSELs because those were my advisor's comfort zone, he was in-and-out familiar with them, and AFAIK we didn't do anything special with them. The system as a whole was very conventional...
  8. T

TSMC to Build Fab in Arizona and They are Hiring!

I can understand that one. The semiconductor talent in America is mostly concentrated in California, but CA is both pretty darn short on greenfield land and extremely litigious. Propose some plant a couple hours outside the Bay that's going to be using a bunch of toxic chemicals, and it will get...
  9. T

Samsung all-in on 3nm: liklihood of overtaking TSMC?

I work in Serdes verification with a fabless company; close enough to know about VLSI design and the foundry process, but far enough away to not be plugged in to all the news. Been reading the news on semiconductor processes just out of personal interest and that's how I found this board. So...
  10. T

Aeva, New take on Lidar and its uses,

Interesting. I worked on a project in grad school about 3 years ago to build a similar kind of LIDAR SoC (just using the standard time of flight approach). The project failed, and the killer issue we ran into was beam spread. We couldn't get enough distance to be useful without having a really...
Back