[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by peter

1. P

TSMC to Win More Than $5 Billion in Grants for a US Chip Plant

Interesting to see that neither Intel nor TSMC are on the DMEA accredited list...at least not yet.
  2. P

Will Silicon batteries be a major game changer?

That's still quite an aggressive target, but then again, 30 years is a long time!
  3. P

Boy, even more optimistic than I am about lithium batteries, must not work in the industry! 😅 I jest, I jest, I have those 46xx cells (and even larger cells) and large blade cells to play around with and all that new technology is definitely exciting. But 10x improvement? Not going to happen...
  4. P

The problem with any high energy density fuel or storage method is safety. I don't see hydrogen being any more dangerous in that regards and the incident rates, however limited they are, don't suggest it's substantially worse than alternatives. Same arguments were made when CNG and LPG fuels...
  5. P

True that! But I do understand the need to subsidize new technologies to get some of it off the ground for whatever reason. It's good to see there are developments on all these different alternatives though. I live completely off the grid and rely entirely on solar/batteries for all our home...
  6. P

Absolutely, we've just become a polarized society, it's hilarious to read the extremes on either side! Still, economics drives the decision, in California or all of Europe where gas costs are off the charts, EVs make economical sense for the masses, and also areas where they put a premium on...
  7. P

Of course! Though that also depends on where the initial distribution warehouse is these days, even down in SoCal where I spend most of my time, the warehouses they're building are further and further inland because of the sky high costs. And the truckers I've spoken to, if the warehouses...
  8. P

Yes, exactly that! Primarily it'll be high performance edge case uses that will first be willing to pay the premium for any of the novel chemistries with premium performance, such as cells with silicon anodes and solid state cells. The biggest market for batteries by far is automotive at the...
  9. P

Ultimate game changer? No. Not even remotely close. Even sodium ion batteries, of which I have quite a few sitting on my desk and are currently in production in commercial volume quantities, it's not remotely close to making a big impact, at least not in the near future. There are plenty of...
  10. P

SK Hynix bets on DRAM upturn with $7.6 bn spending; HBM in focus

i was thinking a little further back prior to the SK's capital injection, it was in the 80% range in 2011 and a whopping 220% in 2000, but that's the context i was thinking of when i read that, might be just me though 😅
  11. P

SK Hynix bets on DRAM upturn with $7.6 bn spending; HBM in focus

perhaps relatively low considering how bad it used to be historically for the company
  12. P

California is pushing Automation by Raising Labor Rates

I've worked with a company that can make bowls of ramen without human intervention, we also have a beverage robot and a whole suite of cleaning robots, but again, the disparity in adoption here in the US vs RoW is astounding. Restaurants in America, both from the management/ownership standpoint...
  13. P

California is pushing Automation by Raising Labor Rates

That's what our company is trying to address with service robots, but you'd be surprised...or not...at how resistant American restaurants and food establishments are at adopting technology and just resisting change in general. The market size for automation equipment in restaurants is about...
  14. P

TSMC's large power bill

Takes 300-400kWh to produce 1CBM of concrete. 30000kWh is just about a single 40HQ container worth of concrete. Another perspective, the amount of energy it takes to mine a bitcoin is estimated to be between 86000-286000kWh. As noted above by count, a lot of power, but comparable to any other...
  15. P

Arm China’s renegade chief makes his last stand

There's much more nuance behind that than what's going on with the ARM China. Lee didn't want to "bribe" Park's administration, Choi Soon-sil strong armed numerous business leaders for them to conduct business as usual. Just like Shin Dong-bin of Lotte group and others. 70% of the people in...
Back