[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by Markwrob

1. M

Does IFS or IF has a single HVM External Customer Yet?

Please correct me if I'm wrong or out of date, but military/space chips often need radiation hardening. It is one reason why some older technologies are still used alot for mil spec and aero. SoI is one such tech. There are ways in system design to overcome some radiation effects, like triple...
  2. M

Samsung to open 3D DRAM research lab in US

Several hundred million cellphone holders might disagree. Even if they dont know where the chips inside are designed.
  3. M

Global Chiplets Market Report 2024

Is Cerebras' approach to take a wager, run die sort, and then connect the working dice with something akin to an RDL? Or is their approach to dice up the chips after die sort and RECONSTITUTE a wafer-scale system using a second interconnect-only wafer. If it's the latter, that looks much more...
  4. M

How much time and money for Nvidia's H100 wafers to enter Intel’s Foveros fab?

I thought I read yesterday that IFS would be doing CoWoS builds for these Nvidia GPUs. Does anyone know what type build will occur?
  5. M

RISC-V Stalworth SiFive Lays Off 20% of Staff

From the write up on The Register, it mentioned most engineering, most marketing and most management were sacked. Sounds alot more like 4 out of 5 made redundant rather than 1 out of 5. There are others working with this IP, hopefully the SiFive folks will land on their feet.
  6. M

Can AMD close the gap? Will Nvidia rule all in AI/ML

Thanks, Blueone, for the primer. In spite of Nvidia's big lead in AI to date, I still feel the field is in its infancy, with lots of opportunities for many yet, including all those you mentioned. Fortunes to be won and lost; right now it's pretty nice if you're selling the picks and shovels. I...
  7. M

Aren't AMD's resources being stretched too thin?

Good discussion! I get that CS will attract the best since it's paying better. But it leaves me wondering, EE is still important, too. Will the pay pendulum swing back hard, or will EE salaries just 'catch up' with CS? Or will EE work just get completely automated? (I personally think not, on...
  8. M

Aren't AMD's resources being stretched too thin?

My bud is an adjunct prof at a uni out here. He relates similar rates of non-readiness in his incoming students. With an inverse correlation of grade grubbing. The unis want the gold and don't care how the students do. Just one step of many in the failures in the pipelines. Every firm is in...
  9. M

Samsung talking smack about passing TSMC.

I agree with the idea that IFS will take share from Samsung first, rather than from TSMC. Samsung's foundary customers are already more comfortable (though still probably queasy) with a potential competitor making their chips for them. That trust thing is a strong disincentive with most of...
  10. M

TSMC to charge more for U.S. made chips?

I'm wondering why you asked me this. From your other many posts here, you have some deep industry experience/contacts. So perhaps your query was rhetorical? It's been a couple decades but mil/aero/space packages were all ceramic based then iirc. And the chips were rated to operate reliably from...
  11. M

TSMC to charge more for U.S. made chips?

Military and space applications typically require radiation hardening. Either by fab technology (Silicon on Insulator for example) or design (triple voting circuits, e.g.). Many time, both. There is always a premium for this, and a premium for small batches. There used to be several fabs in the...
  12. M

Impact of China–Taiwan Geopolitical Risks on Semiconductor Sector

In spite of Samsung's yield issues, i suspect most large fabless design firms have kept a team or two doing designs in Samsung PDK's if only as pretext to pricing leverage with TSMC. As questions mount regarding China and Taiwan, some of these teams might be looking at ports to Samsung a little...
  13. M

Should our Next Leaders come out of the Tech Sector?

I don't think technology leaders are any more or less likely to do a good job leading the country than any other group. They have just as many faults as any other person. And generally they have big egos--heck, they have to in order to grow their 'babies' into household names. Finally...
  14. M

Apple: A Semiconductor Colossus

Daniel, i have a few points to follow up here. Apple's success to this stage is driven by their excellent marketing to tech unsavvy folks (as noted by others) coupled with owning enough of their hardware to craft good-enough performance and good-enough efficiency to satisfy its customer base...
Back