[XF] => 2020270
            [XFI] => 1040070
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by IanD

1. I

Solar Cells Nearing 30% inflection point

I understand the purpose of Newatlas perfectly -- for the kind of things you keep posting from there, it's to provide uncritically positive clickbait headlines for people to then spread via sites like semiwiki, so that Newatlas gets more page views and makes more money from advertisers. Am I...
  2. I

That doesn't mean they should uncritically put forward what is basically publicity puff without actually checking the facts behind it, and asking the difficult questions about practicality before announcing it as a fantactic new discovery that will transform the world -- except that would...
  3. I

Newatlas are famously super-enthusiastic about shiny shiny new technology that never goes anywhere for practical/cost reasons, like new super-duper batteries or hydrogen power or fuel cells or Al-air batteries or... [I could go on forever] There's a telling quote in the article: "Ever since...
  4. I

Samsung all-in on 3nm: liklihood of overtaking TSMC?

The M1 has two standard Samsung LPDDR4 dies alongside the 5nm CPU die in the same package. This is not eDRAM, it's co-packaged DRAM -- like HBM but bigger, cheaper and slower. The plus side is (potentially) higher speed and lower power because it's right next to the CPU instead of in a separate...
  5. I

TSM Revolutionizing Ultrasound Chip

New technology won't fix the problems with US medicare, it'll still be stupidly costly with poor outcomes and coverage for lots of people and still way down the world list. What it needs a rethink of how healthcare is run and financed and regulated, but this will only happen over the dead...
  6. I

Rumor: TSMC Expected to Produce 5nm Intel CPUs in H1 2022

It all depends where Intel are with porting CPUs to TSMC. If they were starting today, for sure 3nm would be the best option, even though it leaves a truly massive gap before they can catch up with AMD who they leave owning the CPU market in TSMC 7nm/6nm and 5nm/4nm. Or maybe they've been...
  7. I

Doesn't seem likely, all the reasons they dropped out of 7nm are still there (actually, even bigger) for 5nm and below. The only thing that might change that would be a *massive* cash injection from the US government to back a bleeding-edge US fab and get security of supply, but I'd have thought...
  8. I

I think we're agreeing here, I didn't mean that Intel would get to push Samsung around (and certainly not TSMC), I meant that they've got more chance of doing it -- but as you say Intel's attitude is also the problem, they're used to being in control of the fab and doing exactly what they want...
  9. I

Moving a CPU design between "similar" nodes (e.g. Intel 7nm to TSMC 5nm) is always technically feasible, it all depends how much time/money/effort you're willing to spend re-optimising the design. Done properly there's no reason the end result should be inferior than designing for TSMC in the...
  10. I

Carbon Nanotubes to Revolutionize Batteries

Like I keep saying, little steps forward but certainly not accelerating and still nothing to do with or driven by the same forces as semis, which is what you keep on saying... The only real big improvements in batteries and solar in the last ten years have been price (dropped by about 10x) and...
  11. I

Difficult to say for sure if it's stupid or not... If Intel go to TSMC then they will get what is probably the best process, but they won't have a controlling influence over process/libraries because TSMC have many other big existing customers (Apple, Qualcomm, AMD, Xilinx...) who are already...
  12. I

If designs have been done with foundry-style libraries and DKs (like AMD at TSMC) then it's not actually that difficult porting them between foundries (I've done it), you do have to do re-optimisation and won't end up with identical performance, but this is usually due to one process/library...
  13. I

There have been no significant *technical* advances in either mass-market EV batteries or solar panels for at least 10 years, the ones being used today are pretty much the same as then but prices have plummeted due to economies of scale and mass production -- this is nothing to do with...
  14. I

I don't see how advances in the semi sector will spill over into the battery/storage sector. One is based on cramming more and more function into smaller and smaller pieces of silicon by pushing towards the atomic scale and using expensive advanced materials and equipment, at the inevitable cost...
  15. I

I'm not betting against the trend, just saying that any enthusiastically reported claims of a "huge breakthrough" (like this one on newatlas) should be treated with caution *until* they prove they can actually deliver. I've seen articles like this gushing about wonderful new batteries regularly...