[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by George Storm

1. G

TSMC needs to partner with India

Requirements include tractable politics, efficient and ethical bureaucracy, suitable local culture*, and a highly-disciplined and suitably-educated workforce. Plus, in most locations you have extreme air-conditioning requirements. Then there are the issues with water and electricity: the fab...
  2. G

Phoenix, Second Silicon Valley, China?

Perhaps not indeed - except for direct semiconductor impications. Ukraine as such has minimal direct impact - though the ramifications will have substantial impact. The ramifications increase as we go down my list - unless/until those above Poland involve Nato in a war. I'm not overly...
  3. G

Phoenix, Second Silicon Valley, China?

I think he is simply reporting political reality - except that I fear he may overstating the realities of any legal agreements with the US Sept 1938: Hitler claims Sudetanland: no treaties - ceded "in the name of pease" March 1939: Hilter broke a pact not to invade Bohemia (effectively ceded by...
  4. G

Will Nano Degrees combined with Platforms Revolutionize Education/Training

It used to be said that education was what remained after you had forgotten what you had learned in school. In technical eduction there is some truth in the idea "that it's not the details that matter but the understanding that lies behind them". So, IMO the "microdegrees" are exactly what...
  5. G

Are VTFET by Samsung/IBM transistors a real game changer?

Clearly everything can be done in dynamic logic without using series gates, but naturally the overhead would preclude doing this in normal arrangements. Maybe there are situations where the value exceeds the cost?
  6. G

@IanD: could there be contact resistance advantages for dynamic logic if the tansistors are built on top of a ground/power contact plane?
  7. G

Starting withthe obvious... I have no knowledge of what Samung/IBM are doing; however, if we believe the basic premise about size reduction - clearly smaller cells would of themselves reduce parasitic delay and dissipation. The question remains as to how that virtuous circle might be achieved...
  8. G

Intel boxed out Apple and AMD?

"Read my lips - No New Taxes". I'm not 100% certain, but he may have held to that: just increased the old ones instead. Returning to the matter in hand: "The majority of Intel products will be manufactured by Intel" does not mean the same as "The majority of Intel product will be...
  9. G

Will TSM Crush all others?

The West needs a strategic second source at all levels of thetechnology. IT does not necessarily have to be the best - just good enough. The problem is how to get there, and whom to chose as the lead partner Whatever Intel says, its success has historically been due to "seizing the moment"...
  10. G

Cyber War is War

On the contrary, complex and powerful systems provide the possibility of creating ever more complexity in hiding your tracks. And, the possible complexity for hiding grows faster than the size of the system (a consequence of combinatorial mathematics). So the issue is not whether the system is...
  11. G

Along came a trojan? GDSII vs Silicon check

The GDS/MEBES mismatch is relatively easily handled if you use a foundry that lets you do the fill function. As a simplified example, you can use a simpified GDS to MEBES data and then do an XOR. Normally the resultant features will be smaller than a line-width. If not a preliminary sizing...
  12. G

Along came a trojan? GDSII vs Silicon check

Interesting: short of comparing actual die with GDS data, you can at least make it extremely difficult by filling vacant space with testable circuitry that is otherwise inactive. If paranoid you can get better coverage this way than by stripping a sample (if the foundry are determined the first...
Back