[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by Fred Stein

1. F

US plans to protect Taiwan with thousands of autonomous drones

I'd guess the drones are for defense which makes the most sense for an Island.
  2. F

What is special about Apple's R1

AFAIK, Apple has very little about the R1 chip, its architecture, and functions. Information or insights about the R1 and their Spatial Computing would be greatly appreciated. Might this area have the kind of future that we see with the A-series evolving to M-series?
  3. F

Will Apple dominate health care?

I like your thesis. Apple chooses its targets carefully and generally leverages others who handle highly regulated business, for example Mobile operators or existing financial institutions. Apple will find ways to get their products to be used to improve health. Slowly the US "sick care"...
  4. F

Toyota and Solid State batteries, 1300 patents, 700 Miles

Excellent points. Incumbent tech dominates because small innovations gain high leverage through high volume shipments based on existing design wins. Superior innovations disrupt with some compelling advantage. Then slowly the superior tech grows. I just looked at a visualization of Mac OS going...
  5. F

TSMC’s 3nm Output Could Reach Up To 100,000 Wafers Monthly By The End of 2023, As It Expects Huge Demand For Apple’s iPhone 15

Thanks for the added perspective. I share your view that the Apple/TSMC is a game changer; And further that this duo of design and fab leadership plays a pivotal role in the broader digital transformation. We can only imagine where they will take us with Spatial Computing, mindful that TSMC...
  6. F

Will Samsung or Intel catch up to TSM in AI/ML chips?

What about Cerebras? Who makes their chips? And on what process node, shipping today and in the future?
  7. F

Apple, TSM, Nvidia to dominate AI/ML

I too am very bullish on the TSMC / Apple synergy and the AI/ML possibilities. I'd love to hear more on two topics. 1) The newly announced Mac Pro with expansion slots for AI/ML. Will AI/ML developers start to use it? 2) The N1 chip. What silicon process? Does is provide the kind of...
  8. F

Apple introduces M2 Ultra

Irony: Back in 2019 Apple was rumored to be working on an R1 processor for sensor integration as a co-processor for A-series chips. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/09/rose-r1-coprocessor-2019-iphones/
  9. F

@blueone. I upvoted. Still I think it is interesting for high-end video production at least according some bloggers I've read. I'm way out of my depth. Also Apple sells systems, not chips; And prefer high volume uses for their technology. I've often wondered if Apple's M-series could be used for...
  10. F

Any comments about the N1 chip in Vision Pro?
  11. F

Broadcom, Apple, 5G, and multi-chip

And the follow up. Will the Broadcom chips be integrated into MCM's? I recall from listening to several of your podcast interviews that data transfer, speed and latency, is full of innovations that yield significant performance gains at the system level.
  12. F

Broadcom, Apple, 5G, and multi-chip

Apple extended their long-term contract with Broadcom and it now includes 5G modems. The chips are to be made in the USA, Colorado. Meanwhile, Apple along with TSMC, has been moving aggressively to multi-chip. Might Apple ask TSMC to integrate Broadcom's 5G chips into a multi-chip module? I ask...
  13. F

How Important is RISK V to the Semi Ecosystem?

Thanks. I'm curious RV and Apple silicon. Apple has gone up, down and sideways and in M-series, wearables, and wearables - all in volume. Might Apple use RV as a component on SoCs? May RV play a role for Apple in data access acceleration? Oops I meant as in M-series, wearables and smart phones
  14. F

How Important is RISK V to the Semi Ecosystem?

Thanks Tanj. I'd love to hear more. And at a higher level. It appears we again have a renaissance in silicon design with so many companies designing their own chips and with VCs funding startups. And the ecosystem of EDA and foundries augmenting this, along with many open fora. SoC adds to this...
  15. F

Intel Says It’s on Course to Regain Chip Production Leadership

I'm curious if there is a comparison of Intel's major projections about new process and actual results since Pat took over. I'm in no position to judge Pat. The question is about changing a large disparate organization. And, yes, nearly everyone misses milestones.
Back