[XF] => 2020672
            [XFI] => 1050070
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by count

1. C

Intel's Weak 2021 Sales Expectations

A long time ago, maybe around 2009, I saw it as a battle of Intel (x86) vs ARM (SoC) and predicted ARM would eventually win. However, realized, with the help of this site and Daniels wonderful book Fabless, that is really a battle between the IDM and Fabless business models. No IDM can compete...
  2. C

Will China master 14nm and what is their future in semi production?

Shrink will continue, but at a slower pace. The pace of node shrinks has already slowed down a fair bit, and will likely slow down further at 3nm.
  3. C

Will China master 14nm and what is their future in semi production?

China has the will and financial wherewithal to eventually catch up. I think it's more of a question of how long it could take. My guess is that the leading foundries will slow down after 3nm and that will provide an opening for China to close the gap.
  4. C

Google to design own chips

It was a huge success for Apple to design their own chips, so I'd say it makes lots of sense if they execute well.
  5. C

Another reason why Samsung should buy GlobalFoundries!

A Samsung/GloFlo acquisition would be very interesting. It would give TSMC some legit competition.
  6. C

Google to design own chips

https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/02/google-is-building-its-own-chip-for-the-pixel-6/ While initially these chips will be designed for Pixel phones and Chromebooks, lets make no mistake about Google's long term plans here. They are aiming for the data center and at Intel.
  7. C

TSMC refuses to comment on rumor Denso involved in Sony partnership

True, but there is also no reason a company like Apple can't put it's excess cash to use buying say 10% of TSMC. It's a publicly traded company.
  8. C

The Semiconductor Heist Of The Century. (is there going to be a semiwiki follow up article on ARM China JV?)

The department of justice would disagree with you. https://www.justice.gov/nsd/information-about-department-justice-s-china-initiative-and-compilation-china-related
  9. C

The Semiconductor Heist Of The Century. (is there going to be a semiwiki follow up article on ARM China JV?)

In theory, they could enter a licensing deal with ARM like Apple does and build their own architecture built around ARM IP, but China doesn't like paying royalties to the west.
  10. C

Wow, this boggles the mind. China has absolutely no shame when it comes to IP theft.
  11. C

TSM raising prices 10-20%

Traditionally TSMC has lowered prices every year. If, going forward if price increases become more normalized, we can expect a 15-20% growth rate instead of a 10-15% growth rate over the next 5 years. As it stands right now the stock is priced only for a mid/high single digit growth rate. The...
  12. C

TSM raising prices 10-20%

I think 10% is something the industry would be ok with. The cost of pretty much everything is up, so 10% would be inflation plus small real price increase. 20% seems pretty high and I can't imagine TSMC raising prices 20% except for a few specialized products. As a TSMC shareholder I'm happy...
  13. C

Shipped from Taiwan, Assembled in the US

This is a common approach in other capex intensive industries such as oil and gas. Major equipment modules are manufactured in Asia and shipped to North America where they are put together like Lego.
  14. C

Samsung to spend 206 Billion on Tech, Intel #3

As it stands today, I don't think Intel can compete. They may try to make some acquisitions to improve their scale, they may get some government subsidies, and those things can keep them alive for a while longer, but I don't think they will ever regain leadership.
  15. C

Intel Wins US Government Project to Develop Leading-Edge Foundry Ecosystem

Edit: The answer is both. They will start with a 5nm fab, and probably build a 3nm fab after.