[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by ChrisGar

1. C

Timing for TSMC Wafer Orders

Longer TAT for CoWoS products.
  2. C

Groq CEO: ‘We No Longer Sell Hardware’

Groq has been around for at least 8 years. They completed design and building chips at least by 2019. (maybe earlier)
  3. C

Big Tech focuses on in-house chips: Here's what you need to know

Actually, I thought this was a reasonable piece for a TV show. Everything was OK until she said "$7 billion." Then she lost me.
  4. C

An interview with Tom Caulfield and a second interview with Ann Kelleher

If Intel wants to differentiate and win big clients -- they need silicon-demonstrated IP -- on the target Intel process. This would take years from the first phone call to have silicon-proven IP. (could be "a year or even more" after Intel is able to tape-out testchips) For example...
  5. C

$999,999 salary

Kind of surprising that those roles are vacant. "Foundation IP" takes years to develop and is a hard requirement for key foundry customers.
  6. C

An interview with Tom Caulfield and a second interview with Ann Kelleher

Reminds me of Y2015 when Mark Bohr said that Intel 10nm was on time to be delivered in Y2016. That was just before Intel started adding many +s to 14nm to show some progress. What is also ignored is IP for these technologies. Without silicon verified IP -- the technology itself isn't useful...
  7. C

Intel's biggest mistake, Gelsinger is WRONG

That is the "Innovator's Dilemma". IBM really struggled with this ... as I believe Intel did also. I worked at IBM for many years. I was one of the first people to use RS6000 around 1989/1990 for IBM chip hardware analysis. I got a bunch of crap about using the UNIX RS6000 instead of...
  8. C

Nvidia vs. AMD vs. Intel: Comparing AI Chip Sales

Kind of odd that companies like Google (who design/outsource their TPUs for training & inference) are ignored from this summary.
  9. C

Can AMD close the gap? Will Nvidia rule all in AI/ML

Thanks for posting. Most people think the only players are Nvidia ... then maybe AMD & Intel in the future.
  10. C

What new fabs will go broke first?

Also, most of the people who are working "at the fab" never have to wear a bunny suit. They are doing tool/yield/recipe analysis from their office. (plus management) This also means a lot of this can be done remotely.
  11. C

Morris Chang "Globalization is almost dead and free trade is almost dead" Speech

AMD spun off GF in 2009. (long before IBM worked with GF)
  12. C

Morris Chang "Globalization is almost dead and free trade is almost dead" Speech

Do you think GF knew the IBM volumes were when they signed the $1.5B contract ? (it's not complicated) If GF couldn't do it -- why sign the contract? You could also google Lisa Su's/AMD's statements from back then. Publicly AMD said they were very bullish on committing to GF & their...
  13. C

But GF is not trying to be a fast follower. They are not working on 7nm. (at least they have made no public statements that they are working on it -- since canceling it 4 years ago)
  14. C

IBM only did early research on 7nm. (kind of like their 2nm now) Gary Patton went from IBM to GF in 2015 along with a number of other IBM process development people. Their focus was on 7nm development. So "GF's 7nm" -- was really a direct follow-on to IBM's early R&D. Gary has been at...
  15. C

You should google the reason IBM is suing GF. GF had committed to develop 7nm and supply to IBM. Then GF canceled 7nm. I believe IBM is suing GF for $2.5B. (the original $1.5B plus damages) IBM had to scramble to redesign and fab with Samsung. Lisa & AMD were able to fab with TSMC without...
Back