[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by BlueNode

1. B

Root scientific causes of TSMC's leadership / Intel and Samsung's failure

Chiming in after a couple of months, the 996 is fascinating. It reminds me of academia (in America). In academia, at least in scientific fields, including social sciences for this purpose only, 60 hours a week is normal. Anyone passionate about their work, their research, is working at least...
  2. B

The computer chip industry has a dirty climate secret

I wouldn't have any reason to care about a "carbon footprint" for any arbitrary productive activity (or any non-productive activity). I'd have to have a long chain of assumptions and beliefs, including some wobbly ones, to end up in a caring place. I also think it's weasely to use terms like...
  3. B

Why is Intel reserving TSMC N3 given its own node roadmap?

Hi all -- Intel's decision to use TSMC's N3 process would make sense if Intel was stopping its own development, and was exiting manufacturing. But it's not, and its own comparable nodes are scheduled for the same timeframe as N3. What Intel was calling its 7nm, now Intel 4 or something, is due...
  4. B

Root scientific causes of TSMC's leadership / Intel and Samsung's failure

Hi all – I'm interested in the root causes or factors that account for TSMC's ability to deliver shrink after shrink, on schedule, and with excellent performance characteristics. Conversely, what explains the apparent reality that no one else in the world is able to deliver comparable nodes in...
  5. B

Intel is said to have made a $2B takeover offer for chipmaker SiFive?!?!?

It's a bummer that Intel doesn't do something more innovative. The whole industry is just not innovating, which is disappointing. There's nothing new or noteworthy about RISC-V – it's an extremely dated approach, and it's full of the arbitrary preferences of a handful of academics. It's not a...
  6. B

When Shrink Ends, Graphene inteconnected Processors, TSM rules

What struck you about this paper in particular? It's a ten year old paper mostly by European graduate students. It doesn't seem like anything real, just an academic publication. The idea of wireless interconnects on a chip is strange, and their first table shows that "optics" (silicon...
  7. B

Cost of designing clean-sheet ASIC vs. new CPU for same tasks

Hi all – Is there a significant cost difference between designing and manufacturing a clean-sheet ASIC vs. a clean-sheet CPU SoC to perform the same tasks? For example, take a VoIP telephone's compute hardware. Say you need to encode and decode real-time audio streams in a specified audio...
  8. B

Have FinFET foundry nodes fallen in cost?

Hi all – Is it cheaper to go with FinFET process nodes in 2021 than it was a few years ago? I mostly mean the initial foundry nodes, and maybe one or two shrinks beyond that, coming up just shy of the current cutting edge nodes (5nm). So for example: -- TSMC 16/12nm and Samsung 14nm (presumably...
  9. B

Cost tradeoffs at 28nm vs 40nm (Arm M0+)

Hi all – I'm intrigued by the new RP2040 microcontroller developed by Raspberry. It's the first chip that Raspberry has designed themselves – the SoCs they use on their more powerful boards tend to be from Broadcom. The RP2040 consists of two Arm M0+ cores. I was surprised that it's made with a...
Back