[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010394
            [XF] => 2020371
            [XFI] => 1040070
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Recent content by benb

1. B

Is China a sucker for spending billions on foreign semiconductor equipment?

I find it sort of hard to believe. The plan was to start Chinese-owned and operated fabs and make chips for Chinese indigenous use. We have been reading about it for years and it sounded reasonable, maybe even scary to those of us who see the slow decline in the US and the rapid rise in China...
  2. B

Cramer calls on U.S. to build factories to address chip shortage, unemployment!

Quite a post kg5q! I especially liked “we need more VPs and MBAs thrown at the problem!” I worked at a fab where they threw McKinsey at the problem. This was in 2006 and 2007, in 2009 the fab shut down for good. I think it must be a shock for software-oriented management, when they encounter...
  3. B

What would you do if you are the CEO of Intel?

It’s fun to look back 5 years, good thread redux. Before we bury Intel too much, just wanted to point out... How amazing is it that from 2015 to 2021 Intel has been on the same node, has fallen behind by 3 nodes (TSMC is on 5nm), but their aren’t tumbleweeds at all the Intel sites like they’re...
  4. B

Hey there 2015 self. Pandemic’s a surprise, huh? ”PC business...it is becoming commoditized, too competitive, and will not support their traditional margins”. Commoditized, yes, competitive, yes, but it has supported their traditional margins. Surprisingly. ”Intel has to start over with a new...
  5. B

CES2021 Interview with Intel CEO Bob Swan

Para 3: “...The PC is essential once again. So the dynamics of the market are extremely favorable.” Desktop PCs, with a graphics card, are back in demand, for work from home, and demand seems extraordinary, exceeding supply. High prices and out of stock parts like I’ve never seen. This is...
  6. B

National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) enactment: Too little too late?

So, suppose you are a politician, what would you do for semiconductors, beyond NDAA? - Start a “deep tech” venture capital fund, something like Norway‘s or Abu Dhabi’s sovereign wealth fund, with real venture capitalists, with a 50% domestic content mandate? - Do a green new deal with solar and...
  7. B

National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) enactment: Too little too late?

I view these things very skeptically. Here’s why. NDAA is a defense program, and GaAs fabs fit this description; IC for space, radiation hardened, or high speed; small scale production. It’s not what we think of as a modern fab. Qorvo, Skyworks, Sandia National labs, and others are part of...
  8. B

Third Point Daniel Loeb full letter to Intel Chair Dr. Omar Israk

The Loeb approach won’t increase INTC capital, more likely radically reduce everything: Headcount, capital, while increasing debt. They’ve made themselves vulnerable to financial attack with their fat balance sheet and depreciated assets. This ability of Wall Street to use a large firms’...
  9. B

What about Samsung?

Here’s my theory about ramping the yearly node: It depends on the lead customer volume. In years when Exynos has a lot of volume, Samsung ramps up pretty well. Exynos demand hasn’t been that big since the Snapdragon 810 debacle, so Samsung doesn’t have the same yield learning like TSMC does...
  10. B

Agree the chaotic way AMD spun off Global Foundries made their competitive strategy worse for a while. I think the Intel spinoff will learn from that mistake though, unless they are really that dumb (can't rule it out). Changing topics slightly, unless AMD starts building more...
  11. B

Agree with count, the Loeb Letter points to a dismantling of Intel, ending IDM status. Probably a spinoff of MFG and design units, my opinion. It’s not up to Loeb of course, it’s up to the new CEO. I’m assuming a new CEO. Agree with count on “carnage”. Intel cost structure was supported by...
  12. B

I’ll paraphrase Loeb’s 7 paragraphs: Para 1: There is a big difference in INTC stock performance compared to others which got our attention, and we have experience in turnarounds. Para 2: INTC competitive position depends on advanced nodes. Competitors have advanced nodes that INTC doesn’t...
  13. B

Dear Dr. Ishrak: As you know, Third Point LLC recently took a significant stake in Intel Corp (the “Company”). Despite its theoretical competitive advantage as the world’s leading semiconductor business, Intel’s shares have dramatically underperformed those of its peers on a one, three, and...
  14. B

TSMC's market cap rises to 9th highest in world

TSM is an important bellwether stock. It points the way for the whole semiconductor industry, which has been doing especially well during the pandemic, as work from home and online businesses replace bricks and mortar businesses due to social distancing. As we enter the endgame of the pandemic...
  15. B

China moves closer to self-reliance in 7nm chip production

Welcome to this forum jaiyam! Daniel does this SMIC 7nm announcement come with any density, lithography specs (CPP, MMP) SRAM tests? Any mention of it at IEDM?