You are currently viewing SemiWiki as a guest which gives you limited access to the site. To view blog comments and experience other SemiWiki features you must be a registered member. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Recent content by Arthur Hanson

1. A

China lags far behind in semiconductor battle

IP protection will be critical to the Chinese advancing. I have heard directly from associates that do business in China they not only steal IP from foriegn companies, but each other. This will do much to discourage home grown development in all areas since it will always be easier to steal...
  2. A

Constantly Adaptive Platforms, TSM, AMAT

Constantly adaptive platforms are the future of the tech sector for speeding up progress by allowing more people to participate in the development process without having to start from scratch each time a new development is made. Making an adaptive platform real time could speed development even...
  3. A

AMAT opens Technology Accelerator, TSM and Others

More than ever collaboration in early research is necessary keep up with the needed speed of adoption to keep up. New platforms and business models are needed and this endeavor should accelerate the progress of both AMAT and their customers to further speed technology and its time to market...
  4. A

TSM and Omnivision, Smallest Imaging Chip

The TSM/Omnivision collaboration has created the world's smallest image sensor for medical use. TSMC's relationship with Omnivision goes back many years and I have no doubt is part of Morris Chang's vision to greatly expand the range of nanotechnologies TSM deals with. I expect TSM to greatly...
  5. A

Semi/Nanotech Changing Economics

The semi/nanotech ecosystem is radically changing even the basic economics by delivering more with less even with physical objects. The smart phone is but one example of dramatically lowering the amount of materials and even cost by replacing many objects and tasks by reducing the cost, time...
  6. A

China GDP and PMI Contraction A Risk Factor For Global Economy

Many of the current economic measures are out of date and obsolete as all technologies are advancing at an ever increasing rate of acceleration rendering many traditional methods of economic measurement obsolete. This applies to the shrinking need of many resources to keep up the accelerating...
  7. A

Large Market for Semi/Nanotech, TSM?

The market in the genetic/biotech offers very large opportunities for semi/nanotech/mems sector to leverage their current research, fabrication and IP into the medical market in a very large way. Morris Chang stated MEMS are one of the largest opportunities for mankind and in this area TSM has...
  8. A

Wafer Capacity by Feature Size Shows Rapid Growth at <10nm

Any thoughts on the type of capacity needed for Crossbar or 3dXpoint memory? Are these processes radically different from existing processes since they use an extensive layered grid layout? Any insights on the processes for these types of memory would be appreciated. Also are the processes...
  9. A

2019 Microprocessor Slump Snaps Nine Years of Record Sales

Obsolescence is the main driver of MPU sales, since they have a very long natural life span, but a for shorter economic one. Continuously advancing applications and uses are the real drivers and this is what should be looked at for driving future growth. Automation of everything and medical...
  10. A

Semi Industry Creates Ultimate Weapon, Now Ultimate Responsibility

5G has been ruled what may be the ultimate weapon, with the ability to literally shut down and disrupt almost everything by the European Union and would give anyone controlling it unparalleled power. This is the kind of power that should only given to entities at all levels that have...
  11. A

Platforms, Leverage, Compounding, AI/ML, TSM/Success

Rather than doing discovery for a just a one time use, the process should be put into a platform so efforts are not duplicated repeatedly and the knowledge gained and how it was developed can be extended and expanded without going back to the beginning. Also in the process of building all...
  12. A

TSMC Files Complaints Against GlobalFoundries in U.S., Germany and Singapore for Infringement of 25 Patents!

This whole mess just exposes the dire need for a true international patent system that is fair and transparent and obeys the rule of being non obvious to professionals in the field, which many, many patents actually issued would fail. A truly fair and transparent patent system would actually...
  13. A

TSMC’s Leading-Edge Fab Investments Set Stage for Sale Surge in 2H19

Dan, thank you very much for the link, it was very informative and I look forward to more blogs in this area. Do you have any thoughts on whether Micron will is working on advanced memory technologies beyond 3dXpoint?
  14. A

Dan, one more question, how is TSM doing with Crossbar memory. I have heard they are going to use it as onboard memory incorporated into some chips. Will TSM ever also become a memory company? This is the same question I had when we first met in 2013 and I have read some subtle references to...
  15. A

Dan, do you have any information on TSM's effort in MEMS, which Morris Chang said are one of the largest opportunities for the tech sector? Even though on larger nodes, these will require many very advanced and new methods to fabricate. I see the market for very high value and complex mems...